Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Incorrect instructions??? >

Incorrect instructions???

Incorrect instructions???

Old 12-19-2012, 03:19 AM

I ran into this alot when I was making purses, would call or e-mail designer, and most were very nice about it. I did have one that was very rude, did not buy anymore of her patterns.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

It's happened to me a few times on a program I've done thru a LQS. The owner knew of a cutting error within a couple of days after giving out the block but didn't bother letting everyone else know and waited for them to contact her.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

I can't stand the 'Oh well, mistakes happen' attitude of anyone. Especially from someone I give my money too.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:10 AM
QKO

We often build kits based on manufacturers free patterns. We have to walk through and double-check every one before sending it out. A lot of the patterns have errors in them that have to be corrected.

So, our advice is to double-check and walk through any free pattern downloaded from anywhere, before cutting.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

I love the bravery of those who just jump right into a new pattern. I always make a mock up of any new pattern I start. Some people think this step is not very important and that is okay for them. I would much rather do the prep work and know I am not wasting more time and fabric discovering a mistake to late in the game.

Measure twice, cut once! Absolutly right!
peace
Old 12-19-2012, 05:30 PM

This has happened three or four times to me. I did a mystery quilt with my sister who lives in Oregon and SHE didn't even tell me there was a mistake. Very maddening. I spend two days thinking I'm too dumb to figure out what they mean till it hit's me - - it's a mistake! Grrrrrrrr!!
Old 12-19-2012, 07:09 PM

I ran into this at a class I took, the pattern was not available for purchase so we had to use the teacher's pattern. She had copied the back of the pattern with the supplies and fabric we would need and I received that as the supply list before the day of the class so at least I was ready with the fabric needed, or at least I thought. The instructor admitted she had never followed the pattern and when we started to follow the instructions, guess what, the fabric requirements listed on the back of the pattern were wrong. Fortunately I had brought extra fabric, and made lots of notes. I didn't buy the pattern when it came in.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:33 PM

Have run into this a number of times. I started making a sample of the block (or blocks) out of a different fabric to make sure everything was going to go together. I have bought those patterns in plastic bags and there are only a couple of pages of directions -- the rest went missing somewhere. Went back to the shop and they checked the rest of their stock and all were missing the middle pages. Took several months to get the missing pages. This is why I rarely buy kits or individual patterns -- and I always open the patterns at checkout to make sure all the pages are there.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:12 AM

This was a really interesting topic. I haven't been quilting long enough to "know" that the math isn't right so how do you all do it? Also, I could see making a sample block but do you mock up a quilt too or is the problem with errors usually in the block? So much to think about.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by indymta View Post
This was a really interesting topic. I haven't been quilting long enough to "know" that the math isn't right so how do you all do it? Also, I could see making a sample block but do you mock up a quilt too or is the problem with errors usually in the block? So much to think about.
Yes, a lot to think about for my small brain. And how do you check on a pattern's corrections? Do you go to the publisher's site and look for the pattern or...??? I never even thought about this!