Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using Fat Quarters >

Using Fat Quarters

Using Fat Quarters

Old 12-18-2012, 06:47 PM

Default Using Fat Quarters

I am making a quilt pattern that calls for 20 fat quarters. I found a fat quarter stack of 30 FQ's of a pattern I liked and bought if for my pattern. The question I have is this: Is it tackie to use the same fabric pattern but in a different color in a quilt? I am going thru this stage were I can't seem to pick the right fabrics for my patterns. I get the stuff home look at the fabric again and decide I need something different. It's costing me an arm and and leg!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:58 PM

do you mean two different color ways in the same design? Its your quilt, if you like it that way, do it.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:58 PM

That's how you build your stash! I do that too. It's not tacky at all to you the same patterned fabric in different color ways. I see that all the time.
I also have a hard time picking fabrics for my quilts. I think it just takes practice. Fortunately, with the practice we get to make more quilts. Good luck and show us a picture when your done. Gina
Old 12-18-2012, 07:04 PM

The Missouri star quilt company has a jelly roll quilt tutorial has fabrics with the same pattern but different colors and it came out beautifully. Do whatever u think looks good.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:18 PM

I've done that before & liked the result. Go for it!
Old 12-18-2012, 07:36 PM

I did a quilt with a black print and every color of Moda Marbles Swirls I could find. It is one of my favorites, so, yes, it's your quilt and do what you'd like. I tell my daughter it will match when it's sewn together - not always true, but true enough to get you started.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:42 PM

I don't think I've ever made a quilt with the same color as the pattern shows. Mainly because I usually can't find those, plus sometime I like the pattern but not the colors.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:01 PM

I have never made a quilt from a pattern and used the same colors. I like my creative freedom and I find a lot of the time the fabrics used in the pattern aren't fabrics I would ever buy. You own the pattern and the end product is yours; make it with any color or theme of fabric you want!
Old 12-18-2012, 10:41 PM

No rules - your quilt and if it looks right to your "eye" then it will be right.

Please show us a piccie when finished.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:06 PM

I don't make quilts same colour or same fabric as pattern. Usually can't find same fabric or fabric would be too expensive. The colours are not my scheme or just fancy a green quilt this time. I am very adventurous and frequently start with a pattern and end up doing my own additional patterns or layouts.