Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Increasing a HST/QST Block

Increasing a HST/QST Block

I need some help and am hoping someone can be an angel and tell me what to do. I bought a pattern that needs a block, which is a hst and a qst. The pattern says to use an 8 1/2 square, and cut it diagonally for the hst side of background fabric. For the quarter sq. triangle side, you cut two blocks of different prints 9 inch square, diagonally both directions, making four triangles. You then sew two different triangles together and sew this piece to the background triangle (hst). This is too small for the 8 1/2 block that it is sown to, to finish the quilt. I emailed the lady who wrote the pattern, and she said to contact the quilt shop that I bought the pattern from. They told me to make my background block 9 3/8 inches and the print blocks 9 3/4 inches. This is too big. Please can someone help me!!

Blog Entries
    What is the finished size of the block you are looking to make?
    Take a look at the pattern and make sure that you are not supposed to trim the triangles down before you join.
    Can't you just cut the ones that are too big down to size?
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

That's what I was thinking. Just cut the blocks smaller and then cut.

NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!
    What are the rest of the blocks? Could you cut All down to work with smaller dimensions?

It is supposed to finish at 8 1/2 inches. If you cut it down, you cut off the points. I just need to have an 8 inched hst/qst finished block, but by these measurements, it is too small or too big.

If I'm reading this right, you are doing a HST with one side done as a QST.

I'd start with a 9" square and cut diagonally for the solid half
    I'd cut a 9.5" square cut twice accoss the diagonal, and use one piece sewn to another for the other side of they HST.

I'd mark the middle of the solid triangle and line up the seam with that. Then I'd trim the whole thing down to 8.5", lining up the center point at 4.25" and keeping the seams at the point. This means you'll trim a bit off each side.

If you have some already done that are too big, as long as you line up the center and seams on the diagonal, you should not loose any points in trimming. That will only happen if you line up a side.

This is why I love using my Easy Angle rulers, I can cut a strip at 8.5 and then use them to cut the exact triangle I need (it eliminates the "dog ear" part so you can use the exact measurement).
    Last edited by Macybaby; 03-07-2018 at 12:55 PM.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

When others suggested cutting them down, they mean to cut each HST and QST down before you sew them to the other HSTs and QSTs. You won't lose points that way.

Thanks for the suggestions. I knew there was something that I was missing, but had messed with it so much, I was frazzled. I'll give your suggestions a try.

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Am I the only one troubled by a pattern designer who, rather than answering a customer’s question, refers to the retailer? Don’t think I would buy another pattern by that designer.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris