Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Indiana Dogwood quilt pattern

Blog Entries

Indiana Dogwood quilt pattern

I am wondering if anyone might have a book with this quilt pattern in it. The reason I am asking is that I have a quilt my grandma made and I think it is Pickle Dish but someone else said it was Indiana Dogwood. They said the ID one was from Mountain Mist quilt batting way back when. I want to make a label for it but want it to be as right as it can be, I am assuming she made it circa 1930- early 40's.Will attach a picture so you can give me your opinion.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

Sorry, don't have an answer on the name. But just wanted to say the quilt is beautiful !

I see 2 different blocks in the quilt. 16 patch or double 4 patch and Baby Bunting. I didn't find anything showing those 2 blocks combined in my search of Encyclopedia for Pieced Quilt Blocks. Gorgeous quilt!
    Beverly

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Sorry don't know but the quilt is stunning. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

I don't know either but it is beautiful . I've never heard of Indiana dogwood. I would also like to see the one that is underneath.

Break it down into parts: 4 patch alternated with a New York Beauty variation.

I looked for it on ebay with no luck. It may be in one of the old Mountain Mist books, but I don't have either one. Maybe someone else could look?

I found a similar block in "Sylvia's Bridal Sampler from Elm Creek Quilts" by Jennifer Chiaverini. It's called Oklahoma Dogwood. Yours is a beautiful quilt. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by SandyinZ4 View Post
    I am wondering if anyone might have a book with this quilt pattern in it. The reason I am asking is that I have a quilt my grandma made and I think it is Pickle Dish but someone else said it was Indiana Dogwood. They said the ID one was from Mountain Mist quilt batting way back when. I want to make a label for it but want it to be as right as it can be, I am assuming she made it circa 1930- early 40's.Will attach a picture so you can give me your opinion.

Personally, I don't see ANY resemblence to a dogwood, a Hoosier dogwood or any other. I'd go with the "pickle jar". OR you can always change the design a bit and find your own name.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I'd say it's a form of New York Beauty combined with four patches. It doesn't really look like a Pickle Dish block, and I haven't heard of Indiana Dogwood before. I'd concentrate more on the maker, the time period, and whether it's hand or machine pieced than on the name of the block.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...B5F8C60F07.png
    There is no snooze button on a hungry cat!

Blog Entries
    it certainly does look like the oklahoma dogwood block.

http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com...um/t/7190.aspx
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

It's definitely an Oklahoma Dogwood quilt, and a very beautiful example at that!

Blog Entries
    Success. Thanks to a new-to-me FB page called Quilts- Vintage and Antique, I found some very knowledgable folks. They helped me find the answer so I looked it up in my Quilter's Album of Patchwork Patterns by Jinny Beyer. Voila! So I am going with Dogwood Blossom. My Grandma lived in Nebraska so I am betting she found this in Capper's Weekly. Here is a compilation of the answers I received thanks to some very nice people!
    "It's No. 2223 in B.Brackman, Dogwood Blossom. References recorded for this design were published in various Arthur Capper papers, 1922-1932, then Kansas City Star in 1934, all with the same name. Mrs. Danner called it Suspension Bridge in 1934, and Mountain Mist had a similar pattern some 23 years later called Oklahoma Dogwood."

That is a stunning quilt and you are very blessed to have such an heirloom!
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy View Post
    I don't know either but it is beautiful . I've never heard of Indiana dogwood. I would also like to see the one that is underneath.
    KK...Here is the link to the underneath one. My mom made it in the 30's and durn near wore it out. I have a picture of myself and my younger sis and brother sitting on it when we were kids. I have it now and am trying tomake one like it but very slow going.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ml#post3539096

I finally squinted at the blue and white quilt and now I can see how it might be considered a dogwood. Too many sawteeth in it for me!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Have you checked Mountain Mist on line. I remember seeing a listing of thier old patterns available, I think it was on line. ???

Blog Entries
    Absolutely beautiful quilt! I'm glad you found the pattern! Thanks for sharing! Do you plan to make it in two colors, or are you going to expand on the palette? It would be tempting!
    Debbie Dresser

Blog Entries
    I order a pattern years ago I think they sent me a list of their patterns I will attempt to find the list today.

Blog Entries
    I am so glad I looked at this thread. I love this pattern but I am going to call mine an Oklahoma Dogwood.

I don't know, but it sure is pretty!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Go onto the Mt. Mist website and search for their old patterns. You may find it there.
    SandyQuilter

It could easily be adapted from an American Beauty block with a few squares down the middle.

I believe it is a Pickle Dish. Just saw one in the Sept. issue of McCall's Quilting magazine. They call it Paducah Pickle Dish. Paducah is in Kentucky.

Happy you found the information you needed. Beautiful Quilt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast