Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Influences >

Influences

Influences

Old 12-21-2010, 03:50 PM

I guess I just believe that our loved ones are in heaven and that they see us and are with us always. My mother taught me that and I am ever grateful to her. You just have to believe! Kinda like Santa Claus. Right?
Old 12-21-2010, 04:21 PM

Only one sister (I have 3) and I quilt. My mom never did and I never knew my grandma on my dad's side (don't think my grandma on my mom's side did any sewing-not sure). No one in dh's family does any kind of craft at all and no one I know around here does either. My mom did sew but no quilting-only clothes. You all are my inspiration. :D
Old 12-21-2010, 05:08 PM

I was told, after her death, that my Aunt used to quilt. I don't remember ever seeing one of her quilts. I started quilting when I saw a mag. in the 80's with an article saying I could make a quilt in a day. I don't think it was Elenore Burns who lead the group but I decided I could do that. I read the information and started to get what I could afford. I got a srlf sealing mat (no grids in those days) but I don't get a rotary cutter since I could not figure out how to use it. Instead I did a lot of tearing of fabric and measuring with a metal ruler and pencil. It took me two weeks to finish that quilt but I got it done! Now I cut with a rotary cutter!!
Old 12-21-2010, 06:03 PM

I have no one in my family that sews or quilts. I taught my mom to sew maybe 40 yrs ago. she gave it up soon after that. I learned in home eck to sew and took a machine quilting class about 25 yrs ago. It is a great hobby and I love it. I was just a natural as early as 13yrs old.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:41 PM

My Mom is an excellent seamstress and taught me to sew when I was nine. She will soon be 82 and she just made her first quilt! A wonderful elderly friend taught me to quilt in the early 1980's.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:46 PM

I must say my biggest influence was my husband who assumed that I must sew because my mom and grandmom did so he bought me a sewing machine for our first anniversary thinking I would be very happy. Didnt even know how to turn it on. lol still dont like to sew but 29 years later I can put together a quilt quite handily Once I started quilting my other grand would get subscriptions to quilting mags so she coild look at them then give them to me to see what I wanted to make She was the best
Old 12-22-2010, 05:53 AM

I didn't have a quilter in my life, but my mother always knitted, crocheted or did counted cross stich. My sister was a fabulous garment sewer. I did other crafts first; silk flower arranging, pine cone wreath making and goose egg decorating. One day I walked into a LQS and fell in love. I took two sets of classes; log cabin and trip around the world and made twin quilts for my kids who were 2nd and 3rd grade. Then life got in the way, but I always knew I would go back to quilting when I retired. I only wish I didn't wait until I retired. Think how much better I would be at it today. I've been quilting for 5 yrs.(I don't count that one year of lessons) and still loving it.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:11 PM

No one in my family quilts. I just started because I was inspired by the range of fabrics available. It's like a geometric canvas and I want to experiment all day long!