Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Influences >

Influences

Influences

Old 12-20-2010, 06:18 AM

I think that many of you had people in your long ago past that got you on your way to having a quilting hobby or profession. Many of these people have since past away. My grandmother was my biggest influence. I was thinking and reflecting on my life past and present due to the new year coming up and thought about her. It would be so wonderful to show her all the toys, tools and gadgets we have available today to make our quilts with. She would of had so much fun!
Old 12-20-2010, 06:31 AM

My grannie quilted also. She sewed anything thing from barbie cloths to wedding dresses. Even before she passed 3 years ago, she didnt use any special tools. Sewing machine, measuring tape, newspaper for making patterns, hand quilting hoop. My mom gave me grannies quilt books that they had purchased for her, inside the books were template plastic for making templates that she never used. She was a wonderful seamstress, and person. I'm the only offspring that quilts or sew for that matter. She had 2 daughters and several of grandkids. I wish she were here to see my projects. I was also given one of her sewing machines, I never use it. Maybe her wisdom would pass through the machine if I did!
Old 12-20-2010, 06:36 AM

My mother quilted. I remember sitting beneath her quilting frame and playing while she quilted. I loved doing that.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:41 AM

My grandmother and aunt were quilters. They would hand piece tops during the summer and quilt on a wooden frame that they could raise up to the ceiling when not in use. Did not learn to quilt but I remember threading needles for them and watching their hands fly over the quilt. Fond memories. They would be proud that I have taken up quilting in my later years. I even hand quilt now.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:06 AM

No one in my family quilted so I am completely self taught, though my Mum was a tailoress and dressmaker,maybe there wasn't the money for anything else, all my clothes were made from cut downs. Of late she has done cross stitch but generally hates hand sewing, and now at 97yrs cannot do it, I on the other hand far prefer hand sewing both for its effect and the relaxation it gives me(unless it goes wrong!!!!!!!!!!)
Old 12-20-2010, 07:34 AM

My mom is a great seamstress and I also learned from both grandmothers, too. One would go buy the newest fabrics and had a great design and color sense. The other would remake items into useful things. I learned creating and recycling before it was the "green" thing to do. Both grandmas are gone but my mom still sews and has a long arm quilting machine. I don't ever remember a time when I wasn't around sewing somewhere.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:48 AM

No one in my family quilts except my mother and she was self taught really dont know what got her started except all us kids moved out and she had money again. My grandmother loved home made skirts but would usually cut them out, pretend the machine was acting up and convince my mother to make them for her. I got started when I had my daughter and decided that she needed a handmade baby quilt. I made 9 patch blocks by cutting out every square and then sewing them together. I ended up making 4 quilts all in different colors for the 3 nieces and my daughter. I was sucked in after that.

I eventually moved on to bigger quilts and my favorite to this day was the one my husband and I made when we were both unemployed at the same time in 2004 for 2 weeks. We made an airplane quilt that is still used today and has warm and black batting in it.

Now I have a large stash and my 7 yo has learned to quilt and sew and will soon be starting on her second quilt. She has developed a taste for LQS fabric like her momma!
Old 12-20-2010, 07:57 AM

One of my DGMs was a school trained seamstress that never used her training except for her personal use. We never talked sewing but I inherited all of her sewing paraphenalia.
She did however teach me to crochet and shared her passion for making lacy doilies. She crocheted the most beautiful lace dresses and doilies. I have a large bag full of her unfinished works that I am waiting for the right inspiration to incorporate them into a quilt or a bunch to give to my mom and sis to remember her by. I guess that she was my influence that started me quilting because I could never match her expertise in lace work even when she was in her '90's.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:02 AM

My mom has been my influence in sewing/quilting. I'm glad I had a mom to teach me all the things that I have learned. We are teaching my kids how to sew and quilt to.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:15 AM

I have no relatives that I know of that quilted or sewed. My inspiration comes from thinking of the past and all the women who have quilted. I love old quilts and pieces of the quilts and envisioning who might have made them.