Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Info everyone should probably have >

Info everyone should probably have

Info everyone should probably have

Old 01-12-2012, 04:32 AM

I am so sorry you went through such an awful experience. My mom had a flash fire from lightening several years ago and dealing with insurance approved repair company was a bigger nightmare than the fire! Hope things went smoothly for you.
I have a question. I was told recently that unless your quilt has been appraised, it is treated like a "blanket" by insurance claim adjusters. Did you find that to be your experience?
Old 01-12-2012, 05:29 AM

Thank you for this info - for those of us who are on the computer all the time, it would be pretty easy to get started with a list made up in Excel, or Word, and as we go, add to it. Thank you again, you never know ...
Old 01-12-2012, 05:32 AM

What an awful thing to have happen . I would have been terrified then yes had my hands around his throat .
I don't have a spread sheet but I did take bunches of pictures at my DD's house I now have to take them here and check to see if my brothers house insurance covers my stuff.
I looked at the pictures and did thing it was sort of ironic the business truck he was driving.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:26 AM

Excellent advice, and one more piece that should be added is, write down all serial numbers for any items that have them. It helps in all areas of a loss, be it fire, electrical, flood, or theft. We have our vids, pictures and all written info safe and secured in a safe deposit box at the bank. When our cabin was broke into... we needed this information for the police department.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:39 AM

Great ideas. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:04 AM

Wow! Good reminder to all of us for sure....who'd have thunk something like that would ever happen!
Pictures are great, Take lots!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:21 AM

Thank you for the great advice. With our downstairs flooded a couple of years ago I understand whst it is like to lose things.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:41 AM

Wow this brings back memories. Couple of years ago i was sitting at my sewing machine my back to the bay window (great light) and i heard breaks screeching, turned around and a car had lost control and was comming across all four lanes headed straight for my window, fortunately there were two very mature italian cypress and his car did not fit between them, the trees caught the car and maybe saved a couple of lives but they are gone now and i sew beside the window now....where i could bail out if i had to and i have photos of sewing machines. Thanks for the reminder because it is time to update photos !
Old 01-12-2012, 08:28 AM

I work for insurance and we have a brochure for personal inventory. At first glance it looks like a lot but it breaks down your house room by room. Check with your insurance company and they should have these brochures! One example we give of personal property: if you took the roof off your house and dumped it upside down, everything that came out is your personal property.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
Wow this brings back memories. Couple of years ago i was sitting at my sewing machine my back to the bay window (great light) and i heard breaks screeching, turned around and a car had lost control and was comming across all four lanes headed straight for my window, fortunately there were two very mature italian cypress and his car did not fit between them, the trees caught the car and maybe saved a couple of lives but they are gone now and i sew beside the window now....where i could bail out if i had to and i have photos of sewing machines. Thanks for the reminder because it is time to update photos !
When our event happened - I don't like to call it an accident because he chose to drive - I was closing down the house for the evening. DH and DS were in bed with our younger Boxer and a foster. Our old girl and I were in the living room listening to the news to find out the weather for the next day. Suddenly I heard the truck coming, look up and saw headlights heading right for me. He took out 2 of the crabapple trees in our front yard and brought them with him. (You can see them in the pictures after the truck was pulled.)

The only reason that I survived is that the slab of the front porch straightened his front wheels and made him come in straight instead of at the original angle. So I ended up under the engine of the truck rather than under the tire. The sheriff figured out that he was traveling about 52mph when he hit the porch. The EMTs could not get me out from under the truck until a tow truck came and moved it. I had a partial fracture of my right hip socket, obviously a dislocated hip and 2nd/3rd degree burns on my right hip and thigh. Compared to what it could have been, I was blessed.

When the driver was arrested, it was discovered that he had been convicted of 8 previous DWIs. AND he was out of jail with 10 hours while I was hospitalized for 20 days.

My husband being somewhat of an SOB sometimes, sends the driver a birthday card every year and includes a copy of the picture showing the tailgate in my front window. But it probably hasn't help. He will only quit when he dies. Hopefully, he doesn't take someone with him.