Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Information on quilt labels >

Information on quilt labels

Information on quilt labels

Old 03-09-2011, 03:54 AM
Banned

I do 2 labels
First: whom it's for and the name of the quilt if it has one.
Second: my name, years in the making (sometimes just one year) and location
Old 03-09-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Charming
Thanks ladies for the info. I needed to know that too. Next i need to know how to stitch a label to the back (pls tell me there is a way other than a needle in my hand :-( i don't like hand stitching)
Try the heavy weight heat n bond and iron it on! Or stitch it onto the backing by machine in the lower corner before putting the "sandwich" together. I make labels with colored permanent markers and cut the edges with pinking shears so I don't have to turn them under. It is a bit less bulky. Also I have printed labels on the inkjet printer fabric sheet, with a print shop program if I want some fancy graphics on them.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Banned

I put who the quilt was made for, the date, sometimes the occasion (wedding, graduation, etc) and who made the quilt.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:37 AM

Thanks everyone for your information. The quilt I am putting this on is a Hummell embroidered quilt that I made for my mom. (She passed away in May) I never got the label on and my dad wants to hang it now. I am going to embroider another Hummell and put the information, for my mom, my name, date and year I gave it to her and probably the town and state. I do plan on hand stitching it on. All quilts after this I will get the label on so it can be quilted right into it. :-D
Old 03-09-2011, 10:56 AM

Good idea to put instructions on "how to launder" because I cringe when I think of the expense of the fabric and all my work getting destroyed in hot water with strong detergent and getting washed on Heavy Duty for 20 minutes! How about you?
Old 03-09-2011, 12:19 PM

It is a personal preference. If it is for someone special, sometimes I name them. I made one for my girlfriend's neice and she made a comment over Christmas about me and I used it in her label. It was "Megan's 'I just love her!" quilt and the date was 1/1/2011. She couldn't pick a color she liked so I used a variety of batiks and made her a strip tube quilt and it was beautiful. Another time I made a rail fence quilt, king size and called it 'Tried but True', that is how my long enduring friendship with my girlfriend is just like the rail fence block.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:33 PM

Mine differs, but more often than not: Date, Quilt Name, Recipient Name, Event, My Name.

Other times its just an embroidered label with my tag line.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Banned

I guess it depends. Some, just my name and date.
Others (like the ones shown) that are for family members I do a little more special.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-155059.jpe   attachment-155060.jpe  
Old 03-09-2011, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Charming
Thanks ladies for the info. I needed to know that too. Next i need to know how to stitch a label to the back (pls tell me there is a way other than a needle in my hand :-( i don't like hand stitching)
I sew 2 sides on with the binding, then turn under the edges and hand stitch the other 2 sides.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:11 PM

I have to agree with everyone's comments so far.

I once heard that for the location, you should include the city, state and county. This is because some cities that were are no longer, and there could be several cities with the same name in the state.

Labels can now easily include lots of information about the quilt. This can be typed in a word documents and printed onto fabric then added to the back of the quilt.

I like the idea of including two sides in the binding.
I like the suggestion of including washing instructions.
I heard one suggestion of including quilt wash with the gift.

Having a pillowcase made out of the same fabric, makes it easy to see which quilt is stored inside the case while being stored, if it's put away during the summer. You might want to think about making more than one case, one to use with a pillow and one to store the quilt. The additional pillow cases could then be used for any repairs that hopefully would never be needed.

I heard it once suggested that you include a second set of label(s) inside the quilt. If the quilt would be taken, and then found, the exact identity of the quilt would always remain hidden inside the quilt. The true owner would only know that the hidden label existed.

I'll be watching this thread for any other thoughts and suggestions.

Pam M