Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inherited Embroidery machine >

Inherited Embroidery machine

Inherited Embroidery machine

Old 01-26-2011, 12:29 PM

Hi, this is my first post. I recently inherited from MDF a Bernina 600 Deco. I'm excited to learn how to use this machine. My friend just found the instruction book and gave it to me yesterday. I burned the midnight oil reading it. Since this will be my first experience in using an embroidery machine I have much to learn. I told my DH if anyone is looking for me he will know where I'll be. I need to get some thread, stabilizer, etc. though. Until I can do that I plan to familiarize myself with the different functions of the machine. I don't know how old the machine is but my friend was using it just prior to gifting it to me. I spent the day with her yesterday, helping her organize her sewing room. She has 4 machines and many, many discs for each one. I organized all the discs for each machine and was in hog heaven looking at all the different patterns.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:31 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

have a ball ~ but beware, it is addicting!!!
Old 01-26-2011, 12:41 PM

it is very addicting
Old 01-26-2011, 12:43 PM

That is such a wonderful gift! I would love an embroidery/sewing machine... maybe one day :)
Old 01-26-2011, 12:44 PM

You will love it and find you are constantly looking for presents for the machine. Depending on what format your machine uses you can get more designs for it from lots of locations. It can get addictive and become a very expensive hobby. I have had a machine since the early 90s. I am now on my third machine and still finding presents for it. If you lived near me I would be glad to share.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:51 PM

Very addicting and fun. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:12 PM

Berninausa.com has a webinar on the website for beginning embroidery machine users. It takes you through some of the basics of embroidery such as stabilizers and thread. They end up talking about the Deco 340 which is their latest standalone embroidery machine. Have fun.

mltquilt
Old 01-26-2011, 03:14 PM

lucky girl...have a great time.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:31 PM

VERY ADDITIVE, don't think you have to buy all patterns, lots freebies, lots nice designs.... lots of talent out there to learn from. You sound like an organizer, so this will be a given for you, but before you acquire to many designs decide how you are going to organize them and store them. It's much easier to do it now. HAVE FUN!!!
Old 01-26-2011, 06:43 PM

Thanks for all the encouragement. I made my first "practice" embroidery peice this evening and it turned out great. I stayed with a simple design to start out with. I just need to get some more thread and stabilizer now. I cut out 4 more practice blocks and stabilizer so I can practice some more tomorrow. I have already organized my sewing room and continue to critique it as I add things to it. I don't like looking for stuff! It is such a waste of time. I already know that this is going to be very addicting. My friend that gave me the machine told me to just let her know if I needed some coaching just to give her a call - - and I will. (I'm just learning how to use this site so bear with me.)