Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inklingo -- Have You Used It? >

Inklingo -- Have You Used It?

Inklingo -- Have You Used It?

Old 03-03-2013, 11:46 PM

The tutorial I am going to work on tomorrow for the Press and Seal is for hand quilting. I am sure though if you are trying to hand piece it could be adapted, haven't tried it for that yet. For some reason I am thinking it should work if you are hand piecing something that would be paper pieced and I am sure it would be much easier to sew through than actually paper. I can attest to the fact that you wouldn't have to pin the P&S as you would paper since it adheres to the fabric beautifully and I find it very easy to remove. I wouldn't use it on a machine though since I feel the needle would pick yp that tacky part and create a problem, one that isn't created when stitching by hand.

Rosie the Wyldwytch

Originally Posted by skowron5 View Post
I use Inklingo and like it. I just started using it and I think it wastes fabric, but maybe I am not setting it up right. I know you can cut your material down, but my printer doesn't work that great if I adjust the paper size. I would love to see a tut on Press and Seal I hear it works great, but now sure how to use it.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:17 PM

I am using Inkling for hexagons. I like it. I didn't see much waste at all. I don't like pre-washing fabric but you have to or the threads get caught in the printer.

Its great for me for hand piecing because I need the cross hair on the hexagons (I'm brand new to hand piecing). Linda suggest a running stitch instead of a whip stitch. Its faster and easier.

I also have a die cutting machine but have not bought the hexagon die yet. It would be faster to cut out hexies with die cutter but then I would have to mark the corners. Someone with hand piecing experience may not need it the 1/4 inch marks.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by skowron5 View Post
I use Inklingo and like it. I just started using it and I think it wastes fabric, but maybe I am not setting it up right.
I get no waste at all. Its a good thing reading the instructions/tips on the site.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:58 AM

I had never heard of this. Look pretty interesting.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:32 AM

I use Inklingo. I'm making Lucy Boston's patchwork of the crosses. It does take some getting used to, it's a new way of doing things and once I got over that hump I have no problems.
It's really good for smaller pieces because you can only print on a standard paper size piece of fabric. Sometimes I don't like that. My printer only likes the heavier freezer paper which I buy from Create for Less. $8.00 for 50 sheets. You use them over and over again, so not too expensive.
I did waste fabric in the beginning, but now I use the full sheet of freezer paper and cut my fabric to the right size for my shape.
Try it out, I think you'll like it.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by heartofwisdom View Post
I am using Inkling for hexagons. I like it. I didn't see much waste at all. I don't like pre-washing fabric but you have to or the threads get caught in the printer.

Its great for me for hand piecing because I need the cross hair on the hexagons (I'm brand new to hand piecing). Linda suggest a running stitch instead of a whip stitch. Its faster and easier.

I also have a die cutting machine but have not bought the hexagon die yet. It would be faster to cut out hexies with die cutter but then I would have to mark the corners. Someone with hand piecing experience may not need it the 1/4 inch marks.
I have the GO die for hexies. Fab/paper pattern for EPP and also just GO hexies in other sizes......I have only done hexies the EPP way and yes I can see where inklingo would be a great help marking that seam allowance line...I cannot eyeball it either. I once tried doing something like an orange peel by hand, it was the seam allowance no markings that turned me off...love the way we have many options to do one thing now
Old 05-08-2014, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
Thanks for the input Dakota and Petey. I'm leaning more and more toward trying this. I should probably try out the free shapes just to see if I'm smart enough to print on the fabric.

That sounds like me too! I just have this mind picture of freezer paper and fabric all mushed up in the printer....my luck! Also,have this question...when you unroll freezer paper it is kind of curly...then I have to cut it into sheets? I know I could buy already cut, uncurled from LQS probably, but that's overpriced. Those who use inklingo...any prob w/uncurling to feed into printer or does just ironing that fab onto it uncurl it enough...saw on her site a Joseph's coat which is actually the one I tried yrs ago...maybe again this way. Hmmm
Old 05-09-2014, 06:46 PM

Printing layouts can be as small as 2.5 x 11 , 4.5 x 5.75, 5 x 9 and so on - itīs just to set the printer to custom size. Ironing the fabric on paper is enough to uncurl it. Besides free shapes the site is packed with infomation, there are also videos on YouTube. I use this tool for almost 6 years now and I am a happy customer.