Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inmate Quilting Program >

Inmate Quilting Program

Inmate Quilting Program

Old 12-09-2010, 01:13 AM

Great job.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:36 AM

How interesting!
I have been wondering how to deal with sewing machines, etc. in a prison system. Never dawned on me to teach hand sewing.
I am not familiar with privately owned prisons, but if more govt projects were put in the hands of American citizens, the savings would be staggering; the creativity in utilizing idle hands amazing.
I am joining your fan club!
I saw an episode on Simply Quilts a decade or more ago regarding quilters going into a women's prison and teaching quilting. I could immediately see the benefits in so many ways.
Your details on personal development of the inmates reveals a lot about them that I had never considered. For the most part, they seem to have come from a "survival of the fittest" environment, hence poor behavior on many levels.
Our county prison facilities are in a town down the road from our place. In the new year, I think I will go to the County Sheriff and see if he and I can't figure out a way to make this a reality here in Grant County. I know that there are many county properties that benefit from "trustee" industry.
I am convinced you can never change someone else's life unless you teach them to do something that they can take with them wherever they go. It is one thing to go out picking up garbage along the highway, but it seems to be a "dead end job".
Don't you think an inmate would benefit more with a skill that he can teach others?
On this board, we daily meet people new to quilting; everyone has to start somewhere. We watch them grow in individual, unique applications and their private lives are surely improved by the doing for others as much as their own personal growth.
And, STANDARDS! Y'all have absolutely articulated the need for standards and goals well. How many of us never considered those two qualities as beneficial to our lives until we came to quilting?
I am so glad you joined us! And, I am greatly encouraged by your explanation of the program. You have presented it so well that I could absolutely print out your introduction and our County Sheriff's Department would have a new outlook on the persons in the cells, I am sure of it!
THank you. Now, I have to go back and read the other pages, because the responses and questions you got on the first two pages are an education in themselves.
This is all VERY exciting! <wave>
Old 12-23-2010, 07:56 AM

What a great story, I am impressed by the pride you have in these men. I would hope something like would be available in all prisons, instead just complete idleness. Their work looks fabulous. I imagine you could sell them on Ebay to pay for the fabric if the money was needed. You are obviously a good teacher/mentor. Do you ever get scared, being in a prison with a door locked. I worked in a lockdown psych unit and hearing the door lock me in really got to me.... Thanks for doing this I sure hope the men see that you are giving them a gift.
Merry Christmas
. . . . ((`._.´))
. . . ((_- ( ) -_))
. . .. ((_ )♡ (_))
. . . . . ./ ≀≀\
. . . . . /≀≀≀≀\
. . . . ..'-.‿.-'
Karen
Old 12-23-2010, 06:08 PM

This program is going to be the Spirit feature in the next issue of "Quilter's Home Magazine." It will be in the February/March issue! I think it's so cool to be able to let the world know what these inmates are doing & QH is such a terrific mag, with a wonderful slant in their outlook on everything quilty!

Thanks to Quilter's Home Magazine for this - hope you're "listening."

Merry Christmas!
Old 01-09-2011, 04:58 AM

You really love your Quilt Techs guys. There is a part of the job you don't mention, psychology, social service skills, empathy, you are a very special person to fulfill that job. You are passionate about your work. May God bless you and your guys,
Old 01-12-2011, 08:28 PM

Wonderful work done here....something to be proud of, for sure.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:30 PM

Quite a great work done here....Pride is a wonderful feeling and you have given it to them.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Jim

What a great program....its great to see that the men have something to help them occupy thier time and to think of something good instead of evil. Your program seems to have everything down pat to make sure expectations and requirements are met. Congradulations on such a wonderful programs that lend itself to giving a second chance to those who need it. Great Job!
Old 01-12-2011, 09:23 PM

Very interesting! Great story!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:00 PM

I hope that the quilting, meeting deadlines, working together, having a creative outlet and hopefully a sense of accomplishment can bring a positive change in their lives.