Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inside of tote base? >

Inside of tote base?

Inside of tote base?

Old 04-28-2012, 05:29 PM

I get scraps of corrugated plastic sign material (like election signs) from my local sign shop. Makes great bottoms
Old 04-28-2012, 06:41 PM

I use it for the body of the tote as well since I like mine to stand up. I use it in runners sometimes as I really hate when they don't lay flat . I use it in all kinds of stuff. When using it in the base of the tote if the tote is already constructed I double fold it , for a stiff base , and cover it and stitch thru the layers. Do use a larger needle ! I find that in many non-bed quilts I like more structure than a typical batting. I really like it for wall hangings . It can get pricey so wait for interfacings to go on sale or use a coupon. Sometimes Jo'anns will have a 50 percent off all interfacings and then have a coupon for an additional percentage off total .. thats when I pounce.... like a hungry cat looking at a big fat .....
Old 04-28-2012, 07:12 PM

Oh my goodness!!! I am a big troop supporter and one of my solders sent me a flag and certificate that had been flown over Bosnia. The packaging was 2 BIG signs that say "ATTENTION Do Not Cross the Concertina Wire" I just could make my self throw it away, now I may have a use for it!! Thank You!

Originally Posted by pattypurple View Post
I get scraps of corrugated plastic sign material (like election signs) from my local sign shop. Makes great bottoms
Old 04-29-2012, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by gingerd View Post
Ladies,
I've made a large tote. I was wondering what you use for the inside base to make it sturdy. In the past I've used cardboard but now I'm second guessing my choice.

Any thoughts please....

Thanks
It's a little late now, but I like to add stiff craft backing to the fabric on the bottom. Sometimes I'll add one more piece of fabric with craft backing ironed onto either side---stopping just shy of the stitching line. Keeps tote completely washable.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:26 AM

I have never used these but here are Bag E Bottoms by Lazy Girl Designs: http://www.lazygirldesigns.com/produ..._E_Bottoms/c53
Old 04-29-2012, 11:18 AM

Peltex is awesome used it in the my favorite bag pattern. it worked like a dream
Old 04-29-2012, 01:10 PM

I just took a class Friday for "My Favorite Bag" and the pattern used Peltex in the bottom piece but I am also using a scrap of very thin plywood by DH has. I will have him cut in the size I need, round off the corners and sand it smooth. I will cover it in fabric, make like a slipcover, so I can remove it when it needs washing.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:53 PM

My dh asked if I wanted to use plywood......I just keep thinking about the Vera Bradley totes. I don't want this to be too heavy. Maybe I'll look at that again.

When you used Peltex on the inside base was it a separate piece that is removable when washing the tote? Or is it something made like a pillow?

TIA