Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Instructions for Hemmed Hexagons >

Instructions for Hemmed Hexagons

Instructions for Hemmed Hexagons

Old 02-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Suz

Patrice,
I, too, think the binding is not a separate piece. It is the backing that has been cut larger than the top two layers and is then brought to the front of the project. If you look closely at how the checked fabrics are showing, two of them are on the straight grain while the other four are on the bias.
Suz
Old 02-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Boo

Good eye, Miss Suz. Kudos :!:
Old 02-11-2007, 02:16 PM
Administrator

i've been looking at the pictures and wondering if these weren't made by making bigger backs and folding them in to the front; smaller fronts folded to the back, with the top connected to the back over the batting with a running stitch. something about the shadows ...

So ... we're up to possible method #3
Old 02-11-2007, 04:43 PM

I think maybe method 3. Any which way, they are cute. Would make good coasters, too.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:00 PM

Wow, what a response from all of you. As it turns out, today a friend told me they are called "Framed Hexagons" and the templates for them are called Quilt As You Go Hexagon Set. She gave me the following pictures and brief instructions, so thought I would pass them on, since this is exactly what I was looking for. I will send the website address, as soon as I get it so the proper person or store will get the credit. Thanks to all of you for your input and help. I want to make table runners and bags out of them.....and since I have four adult children and various friends I have to get busy to get a jump on Christmas 2008... :) hope this isn't too big to send...Janie

Framed Hexagons - Quilt As You Go Hexagon Set
A lovely hand piecing project that comes together very quickly. Three hexagon shapes make up these engaging blocks which, when they are finished, are finished!
Instructions
1. Cutting: Use the 5" hexagon to cut one shape from batting and one shape from your chosen top fabric. Use the 7" hexagon to cut one shape from your chosen backing fabric.
2. Place the backing hexagon (7") wrong side up and centre the batting and then the 5" hexagon on top right side up. Pin all three layers.
3. Fold the raw edge of the large backing hexagon twice
1. So that the raw edge meets the raw edge of the 5" hexagon. The fold is approximately 1/2"
2. Then fold a second time bringing the first folded edge of the larger hexagon onto the 5" hexagon. You will then have a 1/2" border around the edge of the 5" hexagon. Hint: Do every second side first to get neat mitres on the remaining sides.
4. To join the framed hexagons together , place two right sides together and ladder stitch the edge. Because they are backed and quilted already, you are done!
Options
Make the centre Grandmothers Flower Garden using the 1" hexagon template included in the set. Centre the Grandmother's Flower Garden block onto the top 5" hexagon and applique in place.
Notes on the finished size of the block
The 5" and 7" measurements refer to the size of the hexagon templates measured from point to point across the widest part of the template. The 5" template measures 2.5" along one side. The 7" template measures 3.5" along one side.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:43 AM
Administrator

so ... method #1

please post pictures when you're done. after all you've been through trying to track this down, you will certainly have earned some braggin' rights
:D
Old 02-13-2007, 11:00 PM

Patrice:
Thanks, I will. My plans to start today were thwarted by a forgotten dentist appt, but as soon as I get them done, I will definitely pass them on. Still looking for the website address for whoever does these, my friend says it's a lady in Australia, so as soon as we get it, I will post. Don't want to get in trouble here.... :D Janie
Old 02-01-2008, 09:20 AM

I was wondering if you had ever found the pattern for the hemmed hexagons (the saying and pictures)? I was wanting to make these, but I can not find them.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Administrator

i don't know about the original patterns ... but you should be able to look at the photos and do something similar by drawing them onto the fabric with washable marker, then embroidering over it
Old 02-01-2008, 11:53 AM

Our guild had a "Bed Turning" at a members house and one of her quilts was this pattern. She called it the "Hexagon Star" I liked it so much I requested she do a class for our guild. But it is not until November and I wanted to work on this while I was in the mountians in May. Thanks for the instructions -- will give it a try.

Beverly