Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
insul-brite ? >

insul-brite ?

insul-brite ?

Old 12-19-2016, 05:18 AM

Default insul-brite ?

Is there a right and wrong side to insul-brite and how can you tell the difference? Maybe next time I buy some I should read the insert. lol Thank you for always being here when I need to have one of my questions answered and increasing my quilting knowledge. I am a self-taught quilter and learn something everyday form you wonderful people. TIA Sharon
Old 12-19-2016, 06:21 AM
Administrator

maybe they have instructions at the manufacturer's website.

i also have a habit of tossing instructions too soon. lol
Old 12-19-2016, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

I have had trouble telling which side to use. test it between some fabrics. see which way the heat goes. you want it to go toward the back or underside of your pot holder but if making a carrier casserole item, you want the heat to come up toward the dish to keep it warm.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:47 AM

I just happen to have a new pack of Insul-Bright and no where on the front or back of the package does it say there is a right or wrong side. The only instruction is that it's not to be used in the microwave. Hope this helps. I only started saving the package instructions in the last year after 20+ years of quilting!
Old 12-19-2016, 09:06 AM

Insul-brite does not have a right or wrong side. The cook's hand will be equally protected regardless of which way you layer in the Insul-brite batting.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:48 AM

Wow, glad you mentioned not using it in the microwave! My friend was all set to make some of those fabric bowl protectors. I'll pass it on!
Old 12-19-2016, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by MFord View Post
Wow, glad you mentioned not using it in the microwave! My friend was all set to make some of those fabric bowl protectors. I'll pass it on!
They make a batting for that. It's called Wrap-n-Zap by Pellon. My local JAF sells it. Even with that special batting, Pellon recommends only heating it for 2 minutes at a time, for a maximum of 8 minutes.
http://www.pellonprojects.com/products/wrap-n-zap/

You definitely don't want to use the Insul-Brite. It has metal in it & can spark in the microwave, causing a fire.

Theoretically, you can use any 100% cotton batting -- like Warm & Plush or Warm100 -- although The Warm Companies says that none of their products are designed to go in the microwave. I assume that's for liability reasons, as many people do not read or else just plain ignore safety instructions about how long something can actually be in the microwave. If you leave any cotton in the microwave for too long, eventually it will get overheated & catch fire (that's fabric & batting).
Old 12-19-2016, 03:26 PM

Thank you for asking this question as you are not the only one who failed to save the insert.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:00 PM

Bree is correct, I just bought some and checked the paper insert, it says there is no right or wrong side, it also says to use at least one layer of a cotton batting (when making a pot holder or oven mitt) to absorb any condensation.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by geevee View Post
Bree is correct, I just bought some and checked the paper insert, it says there is no right or wrong side, it also says to use at least one layer of a cotton batting (when making a pot holder or oven mitt) to absorb any condensation.
and where does the cotton batting go? Heat source side or hand protection side.....or does that not make any difference either?