Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Insulbrite question

Blog Entries

Insulbrite question

I have seen a couple of types in Insulbrite and am wondering if you have experience with it. The one I usually get is thicker...more like a batting. The other is very bright silver on one side but it is very light weight. Iím wondering if I need to use more than one layer of the thinner stuff. I always use warm and natural with the insulbrite.

I didn’t know there were two different kinds. I just made potholders with one layer each of IB and WnN together. They aren’t as protective from the heat as I would like. Not happy with them.

They are for my own kitchen and will be temporarily until I can get thicker ones (made or purchased).

You may want to try a sample first to see how it works for you.

I did not know there was more than one kind. I've made a few things over the last 3-4 years with it and thought they turned out fine. If you are sure, then I would consider calling the manufacturer or looking at their website.

I wasnít aware of two kinds either??? Let us know what you find out?

I do use it in potholders, but my potholders are pretty thick anyway - layers from bottom up are: jeans, insulbright, w&n, 3 layers of fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by Love2Craft View Post
    I have seen a couple of types in Insulbrite and am wondering if you have experience with it. The one I usually get is thicker...more like a batting. The other is very bright silver on one side but it is very light weight. I’m wondering if I need to use more than one layer of the thinner stuff. I always use warm and natural with the insulbrite.

The thin one may be the product used for ironing board covers or ironing mats. Can you post pictures of the two different products?

It looks like "Warm Company" has a product called Insul-Shine that has a water barrier so can be used for grocery bag or diaper bag. https://warmcompany.com/products/insulshine-198/products/insulshine-104
    This is the one with a very shiny side.

Whereas, the original Insul-Bright would be for pot holders or mitts.
    https://warmcompany.com/products/ins...insulbright-92

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Not affiliated with off-site links
    Last edited by OurWorkbench; 12-03-2019 at 05:18 AM.
    Janey & John

The thin one is generally used for ironing board covers. I made an ironing surface using a wooden TV tray, used 2 layers of wool batting, fabric and then made a removable cover from the ironing board fabric.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I didn't realize there was more than on type. Learned something new!

Blog Entries
    i have the kind with silver in it and my machine doesn't like it. or I don't . it leaves little silver "shavings" and that is not good. Still, i have some and may use it on items that require almost no sewing.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Blog Entries
    They stopped selling the double thickness one at Joanns a couple months ago. Now they only sell the one that has one layer of batting and the protective layer. That is why you see the shiny bit (it used to be in the center). It does the same thing. I actually prefer it because it is a bit thinner. You can always add another layer of batting or a layer of flannel to beef it up, but the 'thinner' product still does the insulating as it should.

Blog Entries
    I think you are thinking about the single layer ironing board cover. What they are talking about is the 'new insul-bright'. I believe the change happened when Joanns changed the whole batting company they bought from. This is in the section with the interfacings (as was the old insul-bright). The ironing board covering (single layer as well as quilted form) are part of the utility fabrics.

I use the insulbright and two layers of cotton batting and I think they are thick enough.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

I've been making casserole size hot pads and I put the IB in between 2 pcs of batting. They are tough to sew and keep all the layers straight (no matter how much I pin them) so I have to re-trim them before binding ... but I really prefer the thickness this gives the pads.

Blog Entries
    Oh good, mine are newer. hope they are good to me. will find out one day. thanks.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I have some but had it for years. Never got around to using it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

insulbrite

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
    I didnít know there were two different kinds. I just made potholders with one layer each of IB and WnN together. They arenít as protective from the heat as I would like. Not happy with them.

They are for my own kitchen and will be temporarily until I can get thicker ones (made or purchased).

You may want to try a sample first to see how it works for you.
    I have some homemade potholders given to me as a gift and they are not heat resistant enough for me for hot oven use.

Blog Entries
    I found this info about the product I purchased...bought it online and thought I was getting regular Insulbrite which is what I usually use. I guess I will just use extra cotton batting with it. I did. It ice that you can’t iron the shiny side!

http://www.pellonprojects.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/975-FINAL.pdf

Joann's does not carry the W&N Insulbrite any longer and is carrying a Pellon product (maybe 975) that is called
    Insul Fleece. It is very thin and soft. I have not used it and don't know how well it would work in hotpads, etc.
    You might want to look it up and read about it. I think Walmart has the Insulbrite as well as online stores.

Quote Originally Posted by sewbeeit42 View Post
    I have some homemade potholders given to me as a gift and they are not heat resistant enough for me for hot oven use.

That is why I recommend making a sample first. Try the sample for heat resistance before sewing all the gifts.

Love2craft- The "note" area on the product sheet says not heat resistant and to layer with batting.

PS: I use a glue stick to hold all the layers together.

For pot holders I layer 5 layers: cotton fabric, w/n batting, insul-bright, w/n batting, cotton fabric.

Pin & sew with walking foot. Sews well and my hand doesn't get hot taking things out of the oven. Before I used the walking foot, the layers would shift a lot. The walking foot made a huge difference so I highly recommend it.