Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: insulbrite

insulbrite

I am making a casserole carrier that calls for insulbrite, Can I quilt the three layers being that it is insulbrite wouldn't the tiny needles holes take away affect of the thermal meaning the heat escaping through the stitching, and if I don't quilt the layers I'm afraid I am going to have a bad mess when it is washed, the fabric are prewashed not the insulbrite, what are your experiences with this? thanks

I've made a lot of potholders with Insul-Brite and have never had a problem with the heat getting through & I use one layer of Insul-Brite, two layers of W&N batting (one either side of Insul-Brite) and then of course cotton front & back!

Quote Originally Posted by Becky's Crafts View Post
    I've made a lot of potholders with Insul-Brite and have never had a problem with the heat getting through & I use one layer of Insul-Brite, two layers of W&N batting (one either side of Insul-Brite) and then of course cotton front & back!
    I make potholders by strip piecing directly onto Insulbrite, cotton batting and the backing fabric. The work fine. froggyintexas

I don't like insulbrite. It's a good product but I don't like the way it feels or cuts. I use a layer of heavy duty foil sandwiched between two layers of cotton batting. Never had a problem with heat.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    I've made loads of potholder and hotpads and never had a problem
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    Same here -- made quite a few potholders with a layer of insulbrite and a layer of W&N. Quilted as normal. Haven't had any issues, and use them all the time. (And, I'm a sloppy cook, so they've gotten laundered a LOT!)
    Cathy