Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Interesting Experience with Fabric Depot >

Interesting Experience with Fabric Depot

Interesting Experience with Fabric Depot

Old 03-16-2012, 05:49 AM

Get a "piggy bank" big enough to not loose-stuff your receipts in it-got a problem-go dig it out
Old 03-16-2012, 05:50 AM

This type of thing may be an honest error, but it's definitely what's being warned about now days. Here in California, they found that a local grocery store was adding dollars now and then to charges ... because most of us don't compare our receipts to our credit card statements. It's called Skimming.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:13 AM

Good thing you saved the receipt and was able to get it reversed as they had to do that.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:14 AM

Always keep your receipts 60 to 90 days, you would be surprised how often you might need them.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:40 AM

I shop there when I get over to the other side of town - usually with a 40% off coupon - it is so easy to get distracted during the transactions since we tend to be visiting - will definitely keep an eye on receipts in the future. I saw a post about the Craft Warehouse close by - will have to remember that the next time I am out in that area - I really miss the Craft Warehouse that used to be in Beaverton. Now all of us who shopped there shop at Sharon's Quilt Attic in Hillsboro - the people are all friendly and very helpful.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by wandajean View Post
This type of thing may be an honest error, but it's definitely what's being warned about now days. Here in California, they found that a local grocery store was adding dollars now and then to charges ... because most of us don't compare our receipts to our credit card statements. It's called Skimming.
How could they do it?
Once I bought a small squash should have Cost say $5 but it rang up like $55 because he used the number for small ornamental gourds! I bought two of an item on sale snd they rang three which if I had left the store I could not prove I did not get the third. I buy lots of canned cat food and count before they are scanned because they were ringing up more than I bought...just kept swiping cans twice.

Last edited by zoeytoo; 03-18-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:40 PM

My husband travels out of town frequently, he ate at a restaurant in a different state where the server changed the tip that he'd given her and gave herself a 50% tip, instead of the 20% he'd originally left. When I was doing his expense reports and reconciling the statement with his receipts I caught it and called the restaurant. I emailed a scanned copy of the receipt to the manager, who promptly refunded the charge and fired the server.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Mimm View Post
Hey all, just wanted to share a customer service story regarding Fabric Depot. They are a wonderful shop, and have always had a reputation for good customer service. Unfortunately, I have experienced problems with register errors a time or two and this last one was a doosey. I got my credit card statement and it showed a charge back in February for $76.49. I was confused because the last time I had shopped, I knew I spent around $40 (I remembered because I went way over my $20 budget!). So I went to the sewing room and retrieved my receipt (which I am amazed I kept because I rarely do) and sure enough, the sales receipt showed $42.11 but the card was charged $76.49. So I hopped on the phone and talked to a manager named Jan who researched the ticket and got back to me very quickly. Neither she nor I could figure out where that crazy dollar amount came from, but she reversed the charge on the card for the difference and took my mailing address to send me the receipt and some coupons for my troubles. I had to laugh, as I was reading her the card #, the last four digits of the card were 7649. Bingo!

I shared with Jan the fact that, while I love Fabric Depot, I have personally experienced no less than 3 register errors during my brief shopping history there. While I was not thrilled about the error, I was happy with how they handled it and consider myself a satisfied customer. (Though I did tell Jan they really need to work in improving accuracy at the registers as they have a bit of a reputation for making boo-boos!) Still... situation handled to my satisfaction, that is what matters, right?
Great catch! I always check my receipt - gives me piece of mind.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:55 PM

I'm guessing clerks are sometimes exhausted especially during a sale. with lines waiting and everyone wanting to get out the door and back home to quilting. this is a good reminder though, that we should always check out statements. I know that but would rather be quilting.