Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Interface >

Interface

Interface

Old 02-28-2020, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Claire123 View Post
This link might be what you are looking for. It is from All People Quilt and is called "How to Add Facing to Your Quilt."

http://l.email.allpeoplequilt.com/rt...93868%7c493868
thank you for this link--that is a super simple way to do it and I like the finish especially on wallhangings
Old 02-29-2020, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Do you mean using a facing instead of binding? If so, a facing is for a complex edges like Grandmother’s flower garden hexagon edge where you want the hexagon edge but don’t want to maneuver binding around all the angles. It is also for a design where you don’t want to have a binding interrupt the look with a hard edge. A facing is all turned to the back and hand stitched to the backing. If you match the facing to the backing, it matches in well.
yes, I meant facing. Thank you for your reply and I am going to look into this technique more .
Old 02-29-2020, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
thank you for this link--that is a super simple way to do it and I like the finish especially on wallhangings
I read this article on facing and it explains the technique well, except it doesn't mention what kind of fabric to use for the facing . I am going to assume 100% cotton and any solid or print, the same as if you would be selecting a binding fabric . I have wanted to make a hexie quilt but never tried to because I was unsure about the finishing. I think facing is my answer .
Old 02-29-2020, 07:45 AM

rvsfan....I usually try to use the same fabric as the front so that if you don't get it exactly right, it doesn't show as much.

The most comprehensive instructions I have found for facing a quilt are these from Blue Moon River. They cover how to stay stitch through the facing and seam allowance, which gives you the absolute best knife edge. I use it on all my show quilts. It is an extra step but will gives you great results. I think it is step #8 in their instructions.

Facing instructions

Watson