Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Interface >

Interface

Interface

Old 02-26-2020, 05:53 AM

Default Interface

I have been reading a lot about putting interface on your quilt . I don't get the concept . What would drive your decision to use interface ? Does it replace binding? Is it visible on the front and back of the quilt ? What fabrics can be used for the interface ? Bottom line is what is interface and why do you use it ?
Old 02-26-2020, 06:05 AM
Administrator

the only time i can think of that interfacing would be necessary is for a t-shirt quilt, to reduce stretching.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:14 AM

I made a dimensional block that had lots of twist and turns in it and so I used an fusible interfacing to stabilize the blocks. I will also use it from time to time on paper pieced blocks especially if there is a mixture of muslin for a name or label center against good quilting cotton. The more obvious of course is T-shirt or sweatshirt fabrics ad PatriceJ mentioned.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

Do you mean using a facing instead of binding? If so, a facing is for a complex edges like Grandmother’s flower garden hexagon edge where you want the hexagon edge but don’t want to maneuver binding around all the angles. It is also for a design where you don’t want to have a binding interrupt the look with a hard edge. A facing is all turned to the back and hand stitched to the backing. If you match the facing to the backing, it matches in well.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:03 AM

I'm using some leftover pieced blocks with a lot of tiny pieces from the front of the quilt on the back, I've been thinking of putting on at least a water soluble lightweight interfacing on them to help them hold together better for the quilting part of the project. Won't make a final decision on that until I decide whether I'm going to be quilting it or sending it out. And then I will ask the long-armer what they prefer.

Usually when you are piecing backs you are using large sections and a .5" seam allowance, instead of tiny pieces and a .25" seam.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:45 AM

If you are meaning a "facing" I use a facing when I do art quilts, where I want a nice, sharp edge without the intrusion of another fabric around the edge, which a binding would make.

It's just another technique that can add to your quilt, depending on the look you are going for.

Otherwise, the only time I use interfacing is when I am using specialty stitches on my tops, so that the stitches lie flat.

Watson
Old 02-27-2020, 05:24 PM

question on the facing technique--I get the concept, but how do you get that nice clean edge when you turn the facing? do you do it like clothing facing where you trim the seam allowance so it's 2 "levels"?
Old 02-27-2020, 07:10 PM

I am not familiar with interfacing a quilt other than small areas for applique. I have quite a bit of interfacing, but use it for bags, pillow backs, small organizers for my sewing supplies and the like.
Facing a quilt is different. It is generally used for smaller quilts, such as art quilts or miniatures. There would be no binding if a quilt is faced. It is an edge finish that is used when the maker feels a binding would be distracting from the overall design.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:11 PM

This link might be what you are looking for. It is from All People Quilt and is called "How to Add Facing to Your Quilt."

http://l.email.allpeoplequilt.com/rt...93868%7c493868

Old 02-28-2020, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

I use interfacing to stabilize bias edges. No matter how careful I am the bias will stretch just enough to cause me problems.