Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Interfacing on Back of Applique Quilt Top?? >

Interfacing on Back of Applique Quilt Top??

Interfacing on Back of Applique Quilt Top??

Old 03-20-2020, 03:04 PM

Default Interfacing on Back of Applique Quilt Top??

I am working on machine quilting my first quilt- a reproduction of an old red/green quilt from the 1850s. I've learned so much on this first quilt!

However, despite my best efforts, the fabric has some minor ripples and the rather large appliques have "extra" material compared to the quilted areas. None of it is too much of an issue- this first quilt of mine combines numerous methods and different results.

What I am wondering is if a lightweight fusible interfacing is ever used on the back of the quilt top prior to quilting to stabilize and prevent shifting? I did starch the quilt top before quilting. I searched here and the internet and did not see this is use anywhere. Has anyone heard of this? I figured there's a reason this wouldn't work, or at least for what I had in mind.

Thanks for your ideas and advice!
Old 03-21-2020, 05:16 AM

Some quilts like a Tshirt quilt are interfaced. Most quilts are not. It takes time and practice to get it all right. I found once I basted my quilts together using Elmer's Washable School Glue there is far less movement and machine quilting much easier.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

If you outline quilt around your appliqués it usually takes care of that.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
Some quilts like a Tshirt quilt are interfaced. Most quilts are not. It takes time and practice to get it all right. I found once I basted my quilts together using Elmer's Washable School Glue there is far less movement and machine quilting much easier.
Thanks for your idea! I forgot to mention in my earlier quote that I had the quilt basted by a long arm quilter. It was rather loosely basted and I had to add numerous pins to keep the layers from shifting. The next quilt I do, I am definitely going to go with the glue method!
Old 03-21-2020, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If you outline quilt around your appliqués it usually takes care of that.
Thanks for your help! I just outline quilted around one of the blocks. It definitely helped! I took a picture so I can compare how it looks before the rest of the quilting on the block is done, and afterwards.