Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Interfacing for tee shirt quilts. >

Interfacing for tee shirt quilts.

Interfacing for tee shirt quilts.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:46 AM

I am currently working on one....I bought the 99 cent Pellon from JoAnn's (as was suggested to me but the clerk)...I used a piece of muslin as a pressing cloth..wet it with a spray bottle, placed that on top of the pellon...used a fairly hot iron and counted to 8 or 10 until the iron impression on the muslin was dry. It is sticking beautifully. It takes a bit of time, but it worked for me.....
Old 09-12-2016, 04:07 AM

Take it back to the store, with one of the squares to show what happened. If the product is defective, they need to know it. If your technique is amiss, they can show you what to do. We spend too much money to accept defective product.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:17 AM

I use a non woven lightweight fusible interfacing for all projects that call for fusible. Have not had a problem yet. Read the directions thoroghly, perhaps you missed something
Old 09-12-2016, 06:46 AM

I love 950F. I use it for so very many projects. I find it has a nice stiffness without being hard. I use it in blocks because it is also easy to sew thru and in my fold 'n stitch wreaths because I like them to be able to fold up and store away after the holiday and yet have a nice oomph when on the table. I have used a lighter weight on some clothing items, but my go to is always the 950F.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:47 AM

I just finished interfacing 29 t-shirts and used fusible P44F from JoAnn's, .99 per yard. I used a piece of antique bed sheet as my cover, did a slow sweep left/right and then another slow sweep top/bottom and all are stuck well.
My bolt is the 48 yard one because I will be making 2 memory quilts from my sons' t-shirts, for his two daughters.
Jan
Old 09-12-2016, 10:35 AM

I agree with Krafty14.... I have made many T Shirt quilts and usually use Stacy brand Easy-knit. Any kind of knit interfacing will do. Be sure to adhere it with the stretch going in the opposite direction to the t-shirt.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:01 AM

I've made tons of t-shirt quilts and have always used 906F with great results. One suggestion - wash all the shirts before beginning and DO NOT ADD FABRIC SOFTENER. Fabric softener can cause the fusible interfacing not to stick. I always tell people to wash the shirts before giving them to me, without using softener.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:41 PM

Another option that I found about in one of my quilt groups is the method used by Andrea Funk. Her book is called "How to Make a Too Cool T-Shirt Quilt." Her method doesn't use any backing at all for the T-shirts.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:05 PM

Rewashing and no fabric softner solved my problem once. I've also been tripped up by steam and no stem. Do read the directions carefully they are not all the same.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:53 PM

I like SF-101. I think that is the correct number. It is made by Pellon. It looks like inexpensive cotton fabric. It is fusible. I bought a whole bolt a couple of years ago with a 60% off coupon.