Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Internal battle >

Internal battle

Internal battle

Old 12-01-2018, 05:01 AM

I'm in agreement with the serpentine stitch. It requires fewer rows to fill in than straight line. Also, as Nan says, the back of the decorative stitches aren't usually too attractive. Lovely quilt, pretty colors too.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:49 AM

I think straight lines would be good for this quilt. Two rows would be good for both sashing and borders. As was mentioned above because of the type of quilting you have already done in the blocks, I think the decorative stitches will be too tight and cause puckering all along the length of the stitch. I also think the straight lines will enhance the overall look of the quilt, i.e. the sashing and borders.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Use the S (serpentine) stitch. It looks great and easy to do. I use it on most of my machine quilted quilts.
It's what I use, too. It goes fast, and looks good, I think.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:28 PM

Something I’ve done in sashing when at a loss is do a wavy line in one colour and then do a second wavy line that crosses back and forth in a second colour. It’s easy, can be done free hand (fmq) or with a walking foot and actually looks pretty good. The triangle zigzag pattern is an easy one to free motion quilt and doesn’t have to be perfect and quilts up quickly. Google Angela Walters, Quilting is my Therapy, she uses it all the time..
Old 12-02-2018, 07:51 AM

I would not do a wavy/serpentine line of quilting when all the other lines are angular. I was at a loss for how to finish quilting an I Spy quilt, after I had done a huge zig-zag pattern in the sashing. I can't remember what I had planned, but by the time I had done the first block, I decided I'd never get it finished if I continued with that plan. I didn't want to rip out all the quilting on the sashing, so I ripped out that on the one block and went to plan B.

I'm not crazy about how it turned out, but it's usable, it will stay together through washing and the kid who gets it will not notice (it's a donation quilt). I used blending colors, so that the quilting did not stand out. I'm just glad it's finished.

I don't have a photo of the finished quilt, but just did a quicky photo. You can't see the stitching on the black sashing, but it's pretty much the same. It just goes back and forth edge to edge in the sashing in a large zig-zag. It would echo the quilting you've already done (more or less) and be quick.

bkay
[ATTACH=CONFIG]604683[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0218.jpg  
Old 12-02-2018, 05:47 PM

bkay, I like the way you quilted these blocks.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
I would not do a wavy/serpentine line of quilting when all the other lines are angular. I was at a loss for how to finish quilting an I Spy quilt, after I had done a huge zig-zag pattern in the sashing. I can't remember what I had planned, but by the time I had done the first block, I decided I'd never get it finished if I continued with that plan. I didn't want to rip out all the quilting on the sashing, so I ripped out that on the one block and went to plan B.

I'm not crazy about how it turned out, but it's usable, it will stay together through washing and the kid who gets it will not notice (it's a donation quilt). I used blending colors, so that the quilting did not stand out. I'm just glad it's finished.

I don't have a photo of the finished quilt, but just did a quicky photo. You can't see the stitching on the black sashing, but it's pretty much the same. It just goes back and forth edge to edge in the sashing in a large zig-zag. It would echo the quilting you've already done (more or less) and be quick.

bkay
Large zigzag is what I was going to suggest, too. Just follow the size of the blocks and then you don't have to measure anything. To jazz it up, you could do an echo zigzag close to the first zigzag...

it's a pretty quilt.... She'll like this, I'm sure.