Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Paper pieced feathered star block

Super Member sewingitalltogether's Avatar

Paper pieced feathered star block

Anyone know where I can get a free pattern for the feathered star block? Don't feel like cutting a million hst and sewing them altogether.
    Gail

This is why I like EQ. I can import a block, trace it, then convert it to paper piecing or rotary cutter units to make any size block. I have seen this pattern in paper piecing but they were not free, most were in patterns or books. Someone may know where to get one online you can print out.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    This is why I like EQ. I can import a block, trace it, then convert it to paper piecing or rotary cutter units to make any size block. I have seen this pattern in paper piecing but they were not free, most were in patterns or books. Someone may know where to get one online you can print out.
    a big EQ fan, too, but had trouble getting the feathered star to look the way I wanted [EQ7], maybe the upgrade has a better import block
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Quote Originally Posted by sewingitalltogether View Post
    Anyone know where I can get a free pattern for the feathered star block? Don't feel like cutting a million hst and sewing them altogether.
    I'm with you on that, as PPing can sometimes make a quilter's life so much easier!

Suggestions ...
    * ask Mr. Google, "paper pieced feathered star" ... I just did and found many free patterns including PPing
    * draw your design out on graph paper, and create your own PP pattern. I often do that,
    and it really is not so hard, plus I get what I want as to size, and any other design changes
    * or use a colouring sheet, to create your PP pattern.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

You can get one here if you sign up.

http://www.threadedquilting.com/no-y...eathered-star/

Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post

This is an excellent pattern...I made my first feathered star with this pattern, then moved on to Marsha McClosky...

I use EQ7. When it's a lot of small pieces I use Easy Draw and draft it myself. Then I convert it to paper piecing.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Did you try cutting two pieces of fabric, one white and one gray (or your colors), sewing them together face to face with 1/4" seam allowance on each side, then cut them out, alternating your triangle pattern. This will give you a lot of
    sewn half square triangles, and yes, they are already sewn together for you. Just a suggestion.

Blog Entries
    I clicked on the link and found a pattern I liked for $17.00. I love to reward people who put in so much time and effort into a design. But it is over 70 pages. So I checked my ink levels, sure didn't want to run out while printing this entire book, stuffed in plenty ?? of paper and hit print. About 20 minutes later it is still printing. Who knew my printer would print on both sides!! It's finished. Yea....used blue and black but I didn't run out.

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
    I clicked on the link and found a pattern I liked for $17.00. I love to reward people who put in so much time and effort into a design. But it is over 70 pages. So I checked my ink levels, sure didn't want to run out while printing this entire book, stuffed in plenty ?? of paper and hit print. About 20 minutes later it is still printing. Who knew my printer would print on both sides!! It's finished. Yea....used blue and black but I didn't run out.
    Threaded Quilting just finished a quilt along for her FS quilts. Check out her blog and Instagram account....tons of inspiration. The free pattern was nicely written, so I too piurchased a larger pattern...mine is stored on my iPad though...that’s a lot of printing!

Quote Originally Posted by ragamuffin View Post
    Did you try cutting two pieces of fabric, one white and one gray (or your colors), sewing them together face to face with 1/4" seam allowance on each side, then cut them out, alternating your triangle pattern. This will give you a lot of
    sewn half square triangles, and yes, they are already sewn together for you. Just a suggestion.
    While this is an effective way to make HST units I don't recommend it due to all your outside edges being on the bias. If you need to make many HST you are much better off doing the grid method, like this: https://quiltsbyjen.ca/how-to-make-h...s-with-a-grid/

If you use Terial spray on your fabric before cutting bias edges will not stretch. I cut a lot of shapes from scraps and sometimes I have to place the ruler at funny angles to get the whole shape to use the scrap piece.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post

This is who I immediately thought of too!

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    If you use Terial spray on your fabric before cutting bias edges will not stretch. I cut a lot of shapes from scraps and sometimes I have to place the ruler at funny angles to get the whole shape to use the scrap piece.
    I had never heard of this spray before....thank you...I just bought some...lol...
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html