Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: filler ideas?

filler ideas?

Hello everyone!

I've been having fun doing orange peel quilts. Found this design, and it's all applique'd and I've done some FMQ.

The corner swirls have been "echoed" ... you'll have to look closely to see what I mean. And I did the leaves differently than it looks in the pic

Ignore the straight lines LOL those were my guides!

Looking for some filler ideas ... not meandering or echos ... or just wondering if I should leave the spaces empty?

Name:  orange.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  167.4 KB

Power Poster
    Pretty and if it meets your batting requirements, you can leave them blank. If you do decide to do background fillers, I might do a small stipple leaving a bit of space around your designs so they pop out.

Blog Entries
    How about pebbles?

Blog Entries
    i love pebbles
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I prefer not too much quilting.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

That's gorgeous! I like pebbles too. Can't wait to see how you finish it.

Looks great! Very interesting approach. It really works! It’s good as is, but pebbles or clam shells (triple teardrops) would be good as fillers in the spaces that are still open.
    Last edited by bjchad; 11-29-2018 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Add information.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Great quilting! I would skip the pebbles cause it would conflict with your circular motifs--I'd instead do some matchstick straight line quilting between the motifs. And please show us again when you are all finished--that is great work!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
    How about pebbles?
    That was my thought too...
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Blog Entries
    I don't think it needs any more! The way you have marked it is beautiful and one's eye doesn't have to "pick out" the pattern (which is beautiful and emphasized).
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Quote Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts View Post
    ...............................................Loo king for some filler ideas ... not meandering or echos ... or just wondering if I should leave the spaces empty?Name:  orange.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  167.4 KB
    No, No, No.......please do not leave the spaces empty!! :-). The type of quilting you have already done screams for more quilting to fill in the empty areas. As others have said, stippling or pebble-ing would be good. I would stipple//pebble up to the motifs you have already quilted. I think the straight lines would be lovely but a lot of stopping and starting or backtracking. :-). Anything more intricate might lose the motifs you have already quilted. Which ever background filler you decide on doing, should be smaller than the motifs you have already quilted. Can't wait to see what you do to finish it!! I hope this helps and is not too "motherly" (as in telling you WHAT TO DO) haha

Ellen 1 and I agree. And it is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen 1 View Post
    No, No, No.......please do not leave the spaces empty!! :-). The type of quilting you have already done screams for more quilting to fill in the empty areas. As others have said, stippling or pebble-ing would be good. I would stipple//pebble up to the motifs you have already quilted. I think the straight lines would be lovely but a lot of stopping and starting or backtracking. :-). Anything more intricate might lose the motifs you have already quilted. Which ever background filler you decide on doing, should be smaller than the motifs you have already quilted. Can't wait to see what you do to finish it!! I hope this helps and is not too "motherly" (as in telling you WHAT TO DO) haha
    Can you show me what you would do? Download my pic and draw by hand what you mean ... I get the idea, but I am a very visual person LOL If you can, that would be awesome!

Thanks,

Ok I will give it a try, but it will be a while. :-). I hope my head comes out in my hands....hahaha

Marian, I think you will need to echo around your previous quilting to keep the background fills from "running into it". I could not tell if there was enough space to stipple/bubble into the circles etc or not. I did not think so from what I was able to see. I hope this helps give you some ideas. These are examples of stippling, bubbles and straight lines.

Edit: I think one echo would be nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Ellen 1; 11-30-2018 at 03:02 PM.

One thing to think about if you are doing straight lines, i.e. crosshatching.......I made a piece that I deliberately made the lines not match up. When it was judged the judge said it should have been straight. What can I say....I did not want them straight. One judges perception (her's) of how crosshatching should be done vs another judges perception of being creativite (mine). Haha

So my point here was....if you were to decide to crosshatch between the motifs you already have, take care to get them to line up good. :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Marion,

Another great project! Have you seen the circle foot for your machine? They are easy and fun!

This is going to be a very interesting quilt. Looks like it would be fun to quilt.
    What did you use for your markings?

Negative space works well and you may not have to use fill unless there is pull from the quilted areas.
    Be sure to post this again!

That's really neat. I like the quilting designs you've got marked on it. I think if you did some micro-quilting, either micro-stipple, micro scribble, or micro cross hatch in the blank spaces using a very fine thread like 100 wt silk or 100 wt Invisifil polyester in the same color as the back ground it would flatten the background and make your quilting pop. The ultra fine thread done as micro quilting would disappear into the background fabric and just add some texture. You could leave the background parts blank as well, but they may end up coming forward (puffing up more than your quilted areas) if you use a lofty batting. I think if you quilt your designs first, you will be able to decide whether you want to flatten those background areas once you've had a chance to see how it's looking.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen 1 View Post
    I agree! If it was me, would probably echo your motifs with 1/4 or 1/2” then fill the rest with pebbles (smaller scale than the motifs) so your big motifs will pop. Looks amazing so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
    Marion,

Another great project! Have you seen the circle foot for your machine? They are easy and fun!
    I just googled it and found it! How cool is that!

Have you ever used it? Because I have questions!
    Last edited by MarionsQuilts; 12-02-2018 at 04:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by institches33 View Post
    This is going to be a very interesting quilt. Looks like it would be fun to quilt.
    What did you use for your markings?

Negative space works well and you may not have to use fill unless there is pull from the quilted areas.
    Be sure to post this again!
    I used crayola washable markers (for kids) ... Ube (a member on here) mentioned them in a post and they are fabulous!!!! You do have to do a normal wash to get the markings out (by normal, I mean a load of at least 30 minutes). I tried a quick load of 20 minutes and the markings didn't come out. But a normal load of 41 minutes (my machine picks the length, not me!) gets all of the markings off no problem.

OK, so I did a 1/2 inch echo around the motifs and then I did something like matchstick quilting, except i did it FMQ style. It's in the wash right now, so once it is all done, I will post a pic.

Thanks for all the help! Greatly appreciated!

Thank you for the tip about using crayola washable markers! I'll use that idea!
    https://quiltdasher.blogspot.com

I like to make lists. I also like to leave them laying on my sewing table and then guess what's on the list while at the fabric store. Fun game.

Name:  2E65F917-9ED9-4A0E-AA61-199681C21422.jpeg
Views: 2619
Size:  990.9 KB

All done!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast