Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sigh...I should have known better!!!

Blog Entries

Sigh...I should have known better!!!

I remember seeing this once here on the QB and should have thought of it: don't use steam when pressing the quilt top!!...but I didn't... So what is the best way to remove the rust stains that got on the white border of the baby quilt I was pressing. I plan on washing it after quilting, but is there a prewash I should use? What is the best product?? The stains are not terrible...but they are there and I can see them...

From now on.... Use a dry iron!! Use a dry iron!!! Use a dry iron!!!! (maybe now I'll remember)

Thanks in advance for your help!!!
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

Power Poster
    So sorry this happened! I had some success using oxyclean on white but you have to be careful that there are no coloured fabrics close it can touch or it will bleach them.

Grandma's Secret Spot Remover is pretty amazing.
    Annette in Utah

My favorite general stain remover is Zout, but there is a stain remover specifically for rust. I think it is a Rit (the dye people) product, and available at JoAnn's, along with many other stain-specific stain removers.

When this happens to me I’ve discovered the stain usually washes out with just regular detergent. I think the rust is so diluted by the water in the iron that it does not set. I have been happy with just washing the quilt.

Blog Entries
    Oxy clean in the wash does wonders.

Oxyclean is suppose to be safe for all colors. That is what it says on my bottle.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

i use Resolve or Shout. I like the tube form because I can be very specific about where to put it. Spray works, too, but I have never used either to remove a rust stain from fabric. I must have had the problem at one time, though as I either dry press or spritz water when pressing.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

I squirt just a little dish soap (Dawn) on the spot and, with a Q-tip, rub it in. Let sit a few minutes, then a take a toothbrush and work it til sudsy... Then rinse out with cold water using washcloth (finger inside so it doesn't touch other fabric). Works for me....Hopefully, you'll get it out...

i always empty the water out of my iron after everyday use to avoid rust developing... You'll need to run a mis water and vinegar through the iron to clean it out, possibly. Not sure, tho...
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Yes, to Teen's response. Dawn fixes a lot of problems for me. I put Dawn directly on any spot that needs treating and I have also used vinegar to clean my iron, just like when cleaning the coffee maker. I don't bother with buying Shout or any of those sorts of products--Dawn is always available. Gee, I hope they never change their product!

Blue Dawn, peroxide and baking soda...make a paste and let it sit for a few minutes and use a toothbrush to work in. Works wonders! I have yet to have any spot that has not come out....may have to do a couple of times.

Dawn has worked for me too. I highly recommend it.

Dina

Blog Entries
    I've had luck with grandma's secret spot remover . (good luck)