Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Intimated!!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shemomof4
    Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting
    You have to do it to learn it! We all fall off the bike the first time and burn a cake, and over water a plant and, and and....... DO IT GIRL!!!! It's how we learn!!! I still have some fabric in my stash that I love so much I still can't cut it and the other fabric that I still love, I love more after it is used up into lovley quilts. Good luck, be brave. Maybe try a small project to get started like a table runner or wall hanging!

SHEMOmOF4: you have 4 kids! What are you afraid of?
    :lol: so true(the 4 kids Part) thank you!
    :thumbup: Girl you have 4 kids (that's the hard part) cutting your fabric will be a piece of cake after the first slice. Go for it. You will be so proud of yourself. BrendaK

I am not afraid of cutting fabric. I always worry if I will have enough if I make a mistake and I think some is just procrasting.

Blog Entries
    There have been times that I have had fabric that I just hate to cute because it is so beautiful! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Shemomof4
    I have no idea why, but I'm so intimidated by cutting my fabric! any ideas as to how to overcome my fears! My wonderful MIL has cut all my fabrics and even though I watch very closely I get home and just avoid it all together. Help me! :cry:
    I too get intimitated, especially if it is expensive fabric or a kit knowng getting more fabric is not always possible. I usually wait until I can work uninterupted (sometimes that takes a while :) and am not too tired.

Power Poster
    You are lucky to have your MIL do this for you. Someday soon you will be ready to do it.

I was intimated when I first started. I am a scrap quilter so I use my mistakes. The more you do it the easier it gets. It is SO useful.

I agree, try some cheap fabric. Believe me, we all make cutting mistakes sooner or later :(

I had that same fear for a long time. Finally just jumped in there and did it. Now its not so bad. I am very cautious, and pretty slow cutting, but I am also accurate

Blog Entries
    Watch a June Taylor shape cut ruler tute, then go buy one, watch the video again and then cut away. It is the way to go. I have 2 of them and love them.

Blog Entries
    or you could buy an Accuquilt Go! I'm not intimidated - just hate to cut. For the first time in my quilting career I don't hate the cutting process.

I know how you feel but at some point I think it happens to all of us. It's like my mind wanders when I'm cutting and zip their goes a bad cut. I hate to cut sometimes but then I just figure well lets get going if it happens it just does. The more you cut the more confidence you will get. Good Luck thinking of you cutting and smiling about why was I so scared to cut. Make that first cut you'll be so happy you did. I know I always feel good when I did it right. Sue

I was afraid to sew because my corners seams might not match. I watched Fon's and Porter one day and they were so excited when their seams matched. I decided if theirs didn't always match why was I so worried about mine. I started sewing my blocks and got excited as the rows developed and then the whole quilt top. Just dive in and don't worry so much. YOU CAN DO IT!

I cant cut it even so started ripping. At least I know its even on both ends.
    Roma

I had to attend several classes to get cutting right.

Sometimes it is hard to learn something new, the only way to overcome it is too practice. Use an old sheet something that doesn't matter if it gets messed up. And you will surprise yourself. We have all made mistakes, some of us more than others, but just work slowly the the directions. You will get it.

klc
    It takes me a while to make the first cut on new material. I look at it and wonder if I am making the right choice for this particular fabric. I can envision all types of projects I could use it for. Once I've made the first cut I'm O.K. Sometimes it takes me days before I'll cut into it. You just won't get much sewing done if you don't cut your material. It's nice you have a MIL that will help, but it's time to do it yourself! Enjoy all the parts of sewing, even the cutting. Buy more than you really need if you are afraid of making a mistake. Then you have extra do work with.

I tend to over-think and fret about things before I starting way too much. My grandmother used to say, "Do SOMETHING...even if it's wrong!" I now say that when I find myself do this and it gets me going. Occasionally it is wrong, but I have lots more rights than wrongs. LOL

Also, as noahscats7 said above, the June Taylor rulers are awesome! I have four different ones and love them! The Shape Cut with 1/2" increments is the one I use the most. I feel I have better control with it and can make multiple cuts without moving the ruler.

Good luck and, "Do something...even if it's wrong!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2