Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Iron before you cut? >

Iron before you cut?

Iron before you cut?

Old 08-02-2010, 11:04 AM

Ironing is really important. At every step. I always cut single layer because I want accuracy. I rarely starch but use steam a LOT. Small wrinkles add up to big mismatches along the way.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:13 AM

Always, but to even the fabric, I was told to hold it selvege to selvege and slightly move only one side back and forth until there is no wrinkle and it hangs straight. Then pin the selveges together, place on the cutting mat lining it up with a straight line and rotary cut one side WOF to make a straight line. Then start cutting. I do this after ironing the piece flat. Does anyone else do this?
Old 08-02-2010, 11:14 AM

After seeing the results of not ironing before cutting for a rag quilt, I do iron everything before cutting it - and yes, I also iron out the crease from the bolt and re-align the fabric to get a straight edge.

I spent this weekend prepping fabrics for the next three quilt projects. I ran out of steam before ironing the last three fabrics for project number 4.

Now I can concentrate on the more fun stuff.

Cheers, K
Old 08-02-2010, 11:16 AM

While on the subject of ironing, sometimes I just can't get out wrinkles (especially on muslin) if they have been set for a long while, no matter how much I steam or spray and press! Anyone have a solution to really set in wrinkles? This is also after being washed.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:39 AM

Some muslins are really coarse and tough. I find a heavy iron with a lot of steam gets me the best results. I don't use that type of fabric for anything other than storage bags for a quilt or to cover my ironing board when I'm using icky stuff.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
While on the subject of ironing, sometimes I just can't get out wrinkles (especially on muslin) if they have been set for a long while, no matter how much I steam or spray and press! Anyone have a solution to really set in wrinkles? This is also after being washed.
I have had this problem , even with some batiks ( end of bolt where it was really "crumpled up". I iron them damp , not really wet but after washing and just a few minutes inthe drier.
Somethimes for the really really tuff wrinkles while damp a give a slight mist of white vinegar, I do not know why but it seems to relax the wrinkle.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:12 PM

I forgot about the vinegar thing. Don't put the vinegar in your iron if you use it. Vinegar will "clean" out the deposits inside and leaves the gunk on your fabric. It always reminds me egg dying. :-)
Old 08-02-2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
I IRON EVERYTHING - or as someone mentioned each seam. I have an iron on the deck right next to my machine on a 14" square ironing board I made.

Spray starch will help with the ironing too. SEARCH spray starch and you'll read lots of info...from how to make homemade to why use it in the first place.

I NEVER rip my fabric. Although I've never looked at it under a microscope, 'they' claim it weakens the surrounding threads (a couple of inches wide) when you rip...makes sense to me. Never have in the past - won't in the future.

I totally agree!! Starch will help ease out some of those wrinkles or folds.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:25 PM

I iron.... ever cut of the way......then ever sewing of the way...even when I am finally done with the quilt, I iron the whole thing again!
Old 08-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Power Poster

I iron the piece then align along the selvage and shift until the piece hangs evenly. THAT is where I fold the piece down and cut my strips. It is amazing how "off" the yardage is at times.