Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Iron on or Off in between sewing squares

I finger press.......then press when the top is finished. That way I don't have to worry with it......it's faster that way too.

Isn't it nice we don't all do things the same way.......lol.

I leave mine plugged in and on all the time. It has the auto shut off and it is very quick to shut off, I think. I can hardly sew one seam on a dozen blocks without have to tilt it to turn it on again.

And, if I am ironing a big stack and basically keeping the iron in the flat position as my other hand lays out the next piece, it will shut off then too and I have to tilt it back up. It thinks that it has been left in the ironing position for too long without moving.

Quote Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
    I leave mine plugged in and on all the time. It has the auto shut off and it is very quick to shut off, I think. I can hardly sew one seam on a dozen blocks without have to tilt it to turn it on again.

And, if I am ironing a big stack and basically keeping the iron in the flat position as my other hand lays out the next piece, it will shut off then too and I have to tilt it back up. It thinks that it has been left in the ironing position for too long without moving.
    Same with mine, and it's annoying. It shuts off very quickly. And, if it's up too long, or down too long, or it's Tuesday, or I'm wearing purple, it decides to shut off. Seems to have a lot of things it's fussy about :lol:

same here, leave it on but iron has auto off

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    i am different to everybody else..i do as much sewing as I can and then do a heap at once and then turn the iron off. My iron is in the laundry and my sewing machine in the lounge and they arent next to each other but i like the idea of having to get up and stretch regularly too! I also dont like big power bills...

Power Poster
    I'm more worried about burning something up -

Blog Entries
    So I guess in the future I will leave mine on while working Thats for all the help, I was getting tired of constantly turning it on and off and waiting for the warm up, but wasn't sure if I would burn the iron out :roll:
    Sharon

Same as marsye...always ON...auto off, but I keep it going...

Blog Entries
    Love to leave my iron on the whole time...gets irritating at times with the auto shut off feature :roll:

I have a Rowenta and it stays on the whole time. It has a dial, all the way up, cottons, off all the way back. My husband is the one who forgets to turn it "off" when he uses it. Ggggrrrrrr!!!! OK, I AM grateful that he uses it and irons his own so I guess there's always a trade off.

In my sewing room I have a really cheap iron and it never goes off, which I like when I'm piecing. I unplug it when I leave my sewing room. I have one with auto shut off in my laundry area and have gotten into the habit of unpluging it also.

I do very little ironing or pressing that isn't quilt related. How about you gals? May in Jersey

Mine has an automatic shutoff. I just need to remember to turn it back on.

My kids call me the starch queen!! Mine is an auto off, but so far i have sewn up a bunchof block parts, press all at once, so if the iron is cold, I run upstairs to fill the coffe cup while its heating :lol: :lol: Clothes get pressed and starched, I like crisp creases in shirts and pants. same iron for the whole mess, but I've been thinking of getting a separate one for quilting because I can never get the steam completely shut off in the one I have unless I pour out the water and "steam it dry". Always seems there's no water in my refill bottle when its time to do laundry :D

I have mine plugged into a power strip too, along with an additional light. If I'm chain piecing or cutting, I try to remember to turn it down. I worry too about fire because there are times when I don't go in the sewing room for a few days.

bj
    I keep my iron, sewing machine, lamp, and radio all plugged into the same power strip. If I'm sewing, everything is on. When I'm through I turn off the power strip. Sometimes, if I'm doing a lot of cutting and know I won't need the iron for a long time, I unplug it from the strip.

has anyone ever had problems with spray sizing? Ironing board is set up on a wood floor never thought anytning of the overspray--didn't see it didn't bother me! oops big trouble when I put the board away--both DH and myself have had major slips and falls in that area. of course I will never admit the reason for the slippery floor. Put a rug over it and all is well!!!

I sew a bunch of triangles or whatever and then turn the iron on for the length of time it takes to do those pieces. My sewing room is on the south side of the house and it heats up greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by vandeaner
    has anyone ever had problems with spray sizing? Ironing board is set up on a wood floor never thought anytning of the overspray--didn't see it didn't bother me! oops big trouble when I put the board away--both DH and myself have had major slips and falls in that area. of course I will never admit the reason for the slippery floor. Put a rug over it and all is well!!!

Last house had hardwood thruout, this one we rent now is all very light color carpeting everywhere, so I throw a blanket underneath when I do a lot of starching just to be safe.

I leave mine on all the time while I am sewing, but plugged into a surge protector with a lamp. The surge protector is plugged into an outlet that turns on a nd off with the switch plate by the door. Therefore, If the light is on the iron is on, but if the light is off so is the iron. This way I don't run the risk of burning the house and it saves me a lot of grief from DH.

Maria

Quote Originally Posted by Maride
    I leave mine on all the time while I am sewing, but plugged into a surge protector with a lamp. The surge protector is plugged into an outlet that turns on a nd off with the switch plate by the door. Therefore, If the light is on the iron is on, but if the light is off so is the iron. This way I don't run the risk of burning the house and it saves me a lot of grief from DH.

Maria
    smart lady!!! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by mkanderson
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    Oh yes...I forget about the OFF position at times.
    Hubby will get up in the morning and see the light from my iron as he passes my room. Let me tell you...I get a rude awakening when that happens! :(
    Me too! I have heard "Don't you know that you could have burned the house down and us sleeping?" real loud!!!! :roll: :cry: :oops:
    :lol: My DH always asks, "Why is the light on the iron blinking?" :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Esqmommy
    Leave it on, and it has an auto shutdown after 20 minutes of inactivity. I just have to wiggle it and it comes alive...

Same here.......

Esqmommy, I live in Concord, right next to you.......

Blog Entries
    ok. i confess. i knew mine had an off position. i just never use it because it auto-offs, too. heats back up in a flash, though.

sometimes i do the sensible thing and turn it "officially" off before i leave for work. not too often, though, because i don't want the earth to shift on its axis. :lol:

Dkm
    I also have an auto off iron, but when I leave the room for the day I always make sure to unplug the iron. Safety first.

I'd leave mine on if I could - but one that doesn't shut off is hard to find. I'm sure the shut-off irons were NOT invented by a quilter! I wish they would give you an option on the iron for auto shut-off or not.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast