Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Iron on or Off in between sewing squares

I don't turn my iron off while I am in the room working. However a few years ago I turned my iron Off and left the room. A couple of hours later I heard a popping sound coming from the sewing room. When I went to check I found the iron white hot and the sole plate was bubbled up. Now I unplug the Iron when I leave the room

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Franwinba
    I don't turn my iron off while I am in the room working. However a few years ago I turned my iron Off and left the room. A couple of hours later I heard a popping sound coming from the sewing room. When I went to check I found the iron white hot and the sole plate was bubbled up. Now I unplug the Iron when I leave the room
    SCARY! Wash there any damage to anything else?

Blog Entries
    Me too. On with an automatic off.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I recently bought two cordless irons from a local supermarket (Lidl - German and great quality). They were 15 euros each (around 20 USD).

You can either use them corded or cordless and they sit on a base unit with the heat plate protected. Cordless, you can iron for about a minute before they cool down which is great for pressing seams. When you put it back on the base unit, it heats up again in about 20 secs. You can also lock them to the base unit which is a great safety feature when the kids are around. I have one up in my sewing room, plugged into a switched socket specially installed by DH, and i switch it on when i go in there and off when i come out, almost without thinking about it! The one downstairs is for hubby shirts and doesn't get much use at all! :mrgreen:

Mine is on while I am in the sewing room. The cord goes across the door way so I am always singing "Skip A Rope" when I go to fill my coffee cup! I unplug it when I am done pressing all the pieces.

Blog Entries
    I have never heard of a cordless iron. That sounds great for pressing pieces.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JCL in FL
    I have never heard of a cordless iron. That sounds great for pressing pieces.
    I hadn't heard of it either until I went to my quilt guild, where they have one. I asked in a French electrical chain store and they looked at me like I was nuts and said dismissively 'maybe it's an ENGLISH thing' so I went googling and there wasn't a lot, even if I ordered from the UK and they were really expensive. Then the very next week, there they were in my local supermarket for 15 euro (20 USD)! :D It wasn't a regular line either, just a one off special offer. Kismet, I guess! :D If you look into getting one, the key thing is the reheat time - mine takes about 20 secs. And the fact you can use it corded as well for pressing yardage (or shirts! :mrgreen: ) Here's some pics!

Iron off unit - cordless
    Name:  Attachment-36999.jpe
Views: 17
Size:  14.8 KB

Iron on base unit
    Name:  Attachment-37000.jpe
Views: 14
Size:  14.1 KB

No other damage. If I had been out of the house I do believe I wouldn't have had a house to come back to! It was pretty scarry.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4