Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Iron on or Off in between sewing squares >

Iron on or Off in between sewing squares

Iron on or Off in between sewing squares

Old 07-14-2009, 01:47 PM

has anyone ever had problems with spray sizing? Ironing board is set up on a wood floor never thought anytning of the overspray--didn't see it didn't bother me! oops big trouble when I put the board away--both DH and myself have had major slips and falls in that area. of course I will never admit the reason for the slippery floor. Put a rug over it and all is well!!!
Old 07-14-2009, 09:42 PM
Power Poster

I sew a bunch of triangles or whatever and then turn the iron on for the length of time it takes to do those pieces. My sewing room is on the south side of the house and it heats up greatly.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by vandeaner
has anyone ever had problems with spray sizing? Ironing board is set up on a wood floor never thought anytning of the overspray--didn't see it didn't bother me! oops big trouble when I put the board away--both DH and myself have had major slips and falls in that area. of course I will never admit the reason for the slippery floor. Put a rug over it and all is well!!!

Last house had hardwood thruout, this one we rent now is all very light color carpeting everywhere, so I throw a blanket underneath when I do a lot of starching just to be safe.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:02 AM

I leave mine on all the time while I am sewing, but plugged into a surge protector with a lamp. The surge protector is plugged into an outlet that turns on a nd off with the switch plate by the door. Therefore, If the light is on the iron is on, but if the light is off so is the iron. This way I don't run the risk of burning the house and it saves me a lot of grief from DH.

Maria
Old 07-15-2009, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Maride
I leave mine on all the time while I am sewing, but plugged into a surge protector with a lamp. The surge protector is plugged into an outlet that turns on a nd off with the switch plate by the door. Therefore, If the light is on the iron is on, but if the light is off so is the iron. This way I don't run the risk of burning the house and it saves me a lot of grief from DH.

Maria
smart lady!!! :lol:
Old 07-15-2009, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by mkanderson
Originally Posted by tlrnhi
Oh yes...I forget about the OFF position at times.
Hubby will get up in the morning and see the light from my iron as he passes my room. Let me tell you...I get a rude awakening when that happens! :(
Me too! I have heard "Don't you know that you could have burned the house down and us sleeping?" real loud!!!! :roll: :cry: :oops:
:lol: My DH always asks, "Why is the light on the iron blinking?" :lol:
Old 07-15-2009, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
Leave it on, and it has an auto shutdown after 20 minutes of inactivity. I just have to wiggle it and it comes alive...

Same here.......

Esqmommy, I live in Concord, right next to you.......
Old 07-15-2009, 02:03 PM
Administrator

ok. i confess. i knew mine had an off position. i just never use it because it auto-offs, too. heats back up in a flash, though.

sometimes i do the sensible thing and turn it "officially" off before i leave for work. not too often, though, because i don't want the earth to shift on its axis. :lol:
Old 07-16-2009, 05:02 AM
Dkm

I also have an auto off iron, but when I leave the room for the day I always make sure to unplug the iron. Safety first.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:25 AM

I'd leave mine on if I could - but one that doesn't shut off is hard to find. I'm sure the shut-off irons were NOT invented by a quilter! I wish they would give you an option on the iron for auto shut-off or not.