Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Iron for Quilters--No Automatic Off >

Iron for Quilters--No Automatic Off

Iron for Quilters--No Automatic Off

Old 04-18-2012, 07:44 PM

Time to get a coffee or a piece of chcolate while heating.......I say.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:07 PM

Wondering if a person uses more electricity if the iron shuts off and heats back up or would it be better for it to just stay on?? Since I have started quilting (It seems I am ironing every few minutes) my light bill has gone up a good $20 per month! Just wondering..............thanks, Antylu
Old 04-18-2012, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
The Reliable Digital Velocity iron also offers the option of turning off the auto off. It's a lot more money though.

http://www.amazon.com/Reliable-Corpo...4769138&sr=8-3
Wait - really? How? Guess I should read my manual, lol....
Old 04-19-2012, 01:32 PM

Oh, my I will have to try that!! I like the weight of my "Shark" but with the auto-turn-off It doesn't return to the same heat when re-started - you have to press, press, press, press the button to get it up to the cotton setting. My cheapo ($10) Proctor Silex doesn't turn off but is very light.
I have noticed that the Shark won't turn back on until I hold it pretty much horizontally.

Thanks Boo!

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Auto turn offs can be tricked. Keep the nose of the iron slanted down and the heel of the iron turned up. The auto shut off won't engage. I bought a wedge iron stand and turned it so the nose of the iron was going down when set on it.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:52 PM

How hard is it to flick a switch, irons take only seconds to heat up and surely our enviorment is worth a few seconds for our childrens sake. That few seconds gives me time to think about the next step and the stand up is nice.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bobby's Girl View Post
I found an iron that eliminates my pet peeve with irons. It's so aggravating to turn on my iron, wait for it to heat, iron a seam, sew a few more seams, return to the iron to find that it has turned off automatically, and then have to wait for the iron to heat up again. Last week I ordered a Hamilton Beach Smart Lift iron through amazon.com. The automatic-off feature can be turned off so that the iron stays heated while I'm sewing. The price is $26.95, and Amazon doesn't charge sales tax. I'm sure it's sold by other stores, too. On my computer screen the color appeared to be dark blue with a light blue water-well, but it's actually black with a lavender color water well. The iron is heavier than I like an iron to be, but I can handle it okay. (I have Parkinson's and my hands and arms are weaker than they were in my better days.) I LOVE my new iron!
Oh, I'm glad I'm not the only quilter who doesn't like the auto off. When my last iron died, I nearly drove my DH NUTS driving me all over kingdom come to find one that didn't auto shut off. I have a Black & Decker now that doesn't shut off but I'm going to get one of these so when this iron goes {poof} I'll have a good new one. THANK YOU!!!