Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Iron rest? >

Iron rest?

Iron rest?

Old 10-02-2019, 05:58 AM

Default Iron rest?

Hello all,

I am wondering if there is such a thing as a rack or rest for your iron that can be attached to your ironing board separately? I just discovered the detachable spray bottle rack that looks brilliant, and I thought it would be fabulous if there was something similar for the iron. I've looked around and haven't really seen anything like what I'm looking for. I know you can buy ironing boards that have the rack already built in, but I don't have one of those.

I'd really like to expand the available real estate on my ironing board...I knocked the iron off my board the other day, and let's just say that dropping a hot iron face-down on nylon carpet is not the best thing for the carpet... Although the iron is still working just fine (after I cleaned it)!

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2019, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

Iron rest/stand
Old 10-02-2019, 07:13 AM

The best way I have ever been successful in expanding my real estate safely has been to park the wider end against my cutting table or my kitchen counter. I have tried a number of add-ons over my 60+ years of ironing both by the piece (back in the day) and with my quilting. Leaving that inch or so between the counter top and the board allows full use of the board while things like the iron, water bottle, starch, or even interfacing awaiting attachment with an applique are all much safer. I also have space to manage all my cut pieces with ease. I don't think, but I could be wrong, that there is an item available that can without some danger be attached to an Ironing board that will give you more space. Most ironing boards are made to manage a given balance when standing alone.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:53 AM

How about putting a small table next to your ironing board? I put my iron
in a small brownie pan...on top of a silicone mat which sits on a small board.
I don't have a lot of room for another table so I just leave it on the floor
when I want to use the whole board. Extra exercise.

My iron stands at an angle. Might not work for everyone.
Depends on the kind of iron you have. Or get a bigger pan?

Last edited by EasyPeezy; 10-02-2019 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

There use to be the add on stands for irons in most all sewing catalogs. Now they are very hard to find. I bought one from Clothilde catalog years ago and it is the best I've every had to hold my iron off the ironing board. It was sold as a child safety device to keep kids from pulling the iron off the board. I guess most don't iron anymore for it to be an issue now.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:48 AM

I see ads for ironing board with stand, but not stand by itself.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:45 AM
Power Poster

I got a WaWak catalog yesterday and there are a couple of iron rests/stands there. Only ones I've seen like it. I think there is an online version of the catalog. waywak.com
Old 10-03-2019, 10:01 AM

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I think the suggestion in another thread about a clamp on shelf might be the answer. I'm looking at a clamp-on mouse pad that might fit the bill for me.