Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: IRON

Craftyone 27 wrote.....
    Here is the link for the Rowenta site. It specifically says their irons are made to be used with tapwater, unless you have hard water. If you live in an area w/hard water use "bottled spring water" not distilled water.
    http://www.rowentausa.com/rowenta/frame.aspx[/quote]

There have been other threads on this. The vast majority of Rowenta's leak, spit and spurt. I paid well over $150 for mine and until I started using spring water in it I was ready to throw it out. I did purchase this pricey one over 5 years ago thinking I wouldn't ever need another iron. It drove me nuts until using spring water. I have since purchased several vintage irons on Ebay and love them all with absolutly no problems whatsoever. I think the older items work better and will probably outlast me. Plus I don't have to worry about the darn automatic shutoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariposa
    I use a Black & Decker "Classic". It is wonderful!!! Best $30.00 I spent! I use reg. tap water, and have no problems. This iron is great! Have had it for several years.
    Me too Mariposa. I can't use tap water though because ours is really hard. I do use a spray bottle but if I want to use water in the iron I have to buy it--use distilled.

I always use the Black and Decker and they last until I knock them off the ironing board.

Blog Entries
    I have used Rowenta irons for years with no problems except getting old and wanting a newer model. LOL.

Are you putting it on the right settings? Sometimes an iron will leak if you are trying to use steam on the wrong setting.

I just bought a new Rowenta Effective Model a couple of weeks ago and it works like a charm.

Banned
    I have an iron that belonged to my best friend's mother, who died 20+ years ago
    No steam, no teflon; just a nice metal flat surface that gets very hot and produces a good crisp edge.
    A quilting friend was afraid I'd be in despair when it went and gave me one from the Vermont Country Store - no steam, no teflon
    I don't like steam, if I need dampness, I have an old coke bottle with a sprinkler top that does the job.
    None of my other irons gets as crisp an edge.
    The temperature on my Rowenta went kaflooey; the LQS from which I bought it doesn't carry them anymore, says her customers have had too much trouble with the temp. and Rowenta refused to fix.
    In fairness to them, I do have a travel Rowenta that works quite well.

I just bought a Black & Decker F67E - Classic Iron with Aluminum Soleplate. (It was $20 on sale at Amazon). So far I am very happy with it as it is a good weight for me, strong steam and crisp seams so far.

Cheers, K

Rowenta is trouble. Go to Wal-Mart & buy a $6.00 iron & use until it dies then go get another one.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by katlady
    Rowenta is trouble. Go to Wal-Mart & buy a $6.00 iron & use until it dies then go get another one.
    I'm with you!

Quote Originally Posted by franie
    I use my Rowenta now dry as it leaked! Just saw a new iron at least to me--called Velocity. Pricey but looked like a metal plate which I like. I like some of the older irons better than the new ones.
    I also like the old irons with the metal sole plate. Also do not want a steam iron. So when I saw the old fashioned dry iron advertised in "The Vermont Country Store' catalog I snapped one up. Love it. Can't remember what it cost, sorry :-(. Now if I need a little water on my ironing, I spray a water mist from a bottle and then happily iron away. No automatic shut off, and no leaking, sputtering or spurting! Hallelulah!

I have had a Maytag cordless iron for a while and it has been just fine. It shuts itself off automatically which is a great help to me. Before that I used Rowenta for many years and had no problems.

I had a maytag cordless that I used so much I wore it out and couldn't find another so now I have a panasonic cordless that so far I love.

Quote Originally Posted by katlady
    That is good advice, I think. I don't believe the expensive ones are really worth the money. And I have heard from so many that they are not good and the company won't stand by them. So why bother. Just get a good cheapy.

Blog Entries
    I have a Rowenta for many years and use tap water. Have had no problems and just love mine.

Blog Entries
    i keep a spray bottle of water on my ironing board and spritz my fabric if i need steam...saves irons. my best iron i'm useing now is a $12 black & decker from walmart that i've been using for 4 years now, the one before? a $139 iron that lasted less than 6 months. i will stick to inexpensive and spray bottles. it does not matter if the iron cost $300 or $3 if you put water in them they will leak after a bit.

I have an Olisio and love it. I would never but another iron.

I also had a leaking Rowenta for several years. I absolutely love my Reliable steam generator iron. It produces a huge amount of steam and you can bypass the auto shutoff as well. This is the model that I have:
    http://www.amazon.com/Velocity-V50-C...9093900&sr=8-3
    I did also try the next model up, but it was heavier and louder and I prefer this one.

Kathleen

Thanks for all your help! Now I'll get busy planning what I want to buy.

I have a Oliso that I bought on EBay for $24.00 and I love it.

Blog Entries
    I use Sunbeam (from Walmart)had an older model previously, but got the last one in 2009 (still going strong there). Never had trouble with them leaking. The only thing I don't like with this one is it shuts off automatically.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2