Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Iron on Transfers? >

Iron on Transfers?

Iron on Transfers?

Old 11-04-2009, 07:07 AM
Banned

Thanks marsye , Annie
Old 11-04-2009, 09:49 AM

Thanx for everyones help I want to print an image off my computer and put it on a quilt. I did not know they made fabric transfers because that would work. I am making it to be used on a single bed.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by marsye
This is not advertising but I make and sell tons of fabric appliques for quilts.
I have some die-cut hearts that I added steam-a-seam2 to and I LOVE to use them in my quilts. As long as they are stitched down properly along the edges, they handle really well.

For DH's Halloween Costume, I transferred an iron-on to a T-shirt. WHAT A DRAG. It never stuck properly in a few areas and I DID follow directions. It is already stiff and crappy looking after one wash.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Horrorgirl
Thanx for everyones help I want to print an image off my computer and put it on a quilt. I did not know they made fabric transfers because that would work. I am making it to be used on a single bed.
There are a few options for you out there. I have tried Printed Treasures. They have two different products, both for printing at home. One is a sheet that you print with your home computer, peel the back and expose adhesive that is activated whe you iron it on. I have never washed it, but it is very stiff to work with and I believe it stays stiff. The other product has only a paper on the back and when you peel it, you have printed image that is flexible as your fabric because is fabric with no adhesive, and the good part is that is fixed. Once is dry you can use it as you do your commercial printed fabric.

Good luck

Maria
Old 11-04-2009, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by marsye
This is not advertising but I make and sell tons of fabric appliques for quilts.
Are you the Arkie Quilt Shop?
Old 11-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Banned

No, I only sell on Ebay and Etsy. :)
Old 11-07-2009, 04:25 PM

I've never done the iron transfer ..., But, I have scanned in a picture or design and then printed it on fabric. Then I went ahead and added it to my project.

If I use the freezer paper method I always wash my fabric first so the printer ink adheres to the fabric. Then I iron the fabric onto the freezer paper, trim the leading edge of this, iron it again, put it through the printer, then do a final ironing to set the ink.

Of course you can always buy the sheets of prepared fabric for printers. Just costs more ... does take less time ... and you can't choose your own fabric with this method.

Good luck.
alice
Old 11-07-2009, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Horrorgirl
Does anyone know how to put an Iron on Transfer onto a quilt? I assume I should iron it on the fabric before I sew? I just don't know if I will ruin the transfer if I stitch into it.
what kind of transfers are you talking about? the picture ones or the blue line ones?
Old 11-08-2009, 04:17 AM

I have done a lot of Iron on transfer quilts I like the transfers that don't have a rubbery feel those you can use wax paper after the transfer cools and sealthe picture beleive me it doesn't crack or peel It's like when a child melts a crayon on your car seat it stays I have done baby quilts and quilts for Breast Cancer that are well used and one is 3 yrs old now I am not in my sewing room or I would tell you what brand of ink transfers I use , Would like to try the freezer paper one and seal with wax paper and see if it works as well
Old 11-08-2009, 05:22 PM

I like Printed Treasures--the fabric kind. The others are too thick and feel like plastic. I have sewn them to the same fabric I'm using in the quilt and sewn them on that way--like adding a border. The last time, I fused the fabric to a piece of my quilt fabric, then did a satin stitch around it. (I don't trust those edges not to peel up.) It's kind of like applique. I really liked the look of the latter and think I will do it that way from now on. The fabric is hard to needle, so adding the border of quilt fabric makes it much easier to sew them on.