Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you use the Aunt Martha's Iron On Transfers? Let's Chit Chat!

Blog Entries
    Do you use the Aunt Martha's Iron On Transfers? Let's Chit Chat!

Yes I do. So does trupeach1. Mine are left from when my mother and grandmother did embroidery. I have noticed they don't iron on well as they age. Any suggestions?

Do they still make those things???? I remember grandma and mom having those and some of the older neighbor ladies used them too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn
    Yes I do. So does trupeach1. Mine are left from when my mother and grandmother did embroidery. I have noticed they don't iron on well as they age. Any suggestions?
    Get a transfer pencil and go over your pattern. That should take care of it. I have been looking for a Sunbonnet Sue. I want to do some blocks in redwork for a quilt.

I've nveer heard of these....where do you get them?

You can get them at JoAnns and Hobby Lobby! Used to have them at Walmart, but I dont think so now, ours got rid of the floss, ect.

Quote Originally Posted by ToucanSam
    I've nveer heard of these....where do you get them?

Martha pattern's are by the 100's in our one store here in MN, if you need a pattern let me know.

hobby lobby sells them Joann's has them. You can also find the older "vintage" ones online normally pretty cheap. Check ebay and etsy.

I found some at the antique store here, and they were the same patterns they still make!
    I love them!

there are sites online where you can get them for FREE - JoAnn's has alot of them - ours does anyways... I was just ablet to by the OT and NT ones for .99!!!

I also have a bunch from my grandmother that I inherited when she had to move out of her home. For years at Christmas all the granddaughters (5) got a pair of pillowcases she had embroidered.
    I have done the dish towels for my daughters as they move out on their own. When using the white flour sack towels they dry dishes so much better.
    Our WM use to sell them but they got rid of them along with the floss a number of years ago. Now I usually find them at Hobby Lobby or Joann's. For me it's an easy transportable had project to work on.

Yes, the transfers are still being made. I love the transfers. You can order them directly from the company: http://www.colonialpatterns.com/

As Honey said, just carefully trace over the lines with a transfer pencil. Not too heavy because the pencil only comes in red and you don't want it to show when you're done embroidering. You can get the pencil from either Joann's or Colonial Pattern.

I just used a set to make a quilt for my daughter. I'll have to post a photo even though it's not quilted yet. I'm a hand quilter who has to convert over to machine quilting due to carpal tunnel/trigger finger issues.

You can order them from www.auntmarthas.com or something like that. They still make them.

Blog Entries
    YES i do use them I have a large box of them from way back when (when they cost 19 cents apiece ;)...my granddaughter who has decided she loves to embroider has borrowed a couple of them from me. my first (real quilt) we call the picnic quilt has redwork blocks made from one of these old patterns, it's called love beneith the willows and has animated dishes...so cute! i really need to snap a picture of that quilt...
    when i get one out that doesn't transfer i just use a transfer pencil and trace it, then it irons on just fine for 5 or 6 times usually.

I have collected many kinds of these transfers over the years and have some from what seems to be the fourties or fifties. They are very fun to use. I usually just use a sharpened number 3 lead pencil (or mechanical) to copy the used up designs by using a window as a light box.. I don't want to distort the design by using the transfer pencils. The "lead" pencil lines are a skinner anyways and are easier to cover with your stitches. I have a few my mom used a tranfer pencil on and they are really too thick.
    Some other patterns I love for embroidery are from say, bunny Hill or crabapple hill designs. They are very fun! Although some are so dang pricey!

I use them too and have given some away on QB. You might have to go over the old ones with a transfer pencil. The new ones I bought at a quilt store transferred very well. There are many, many designs and they are charming. Dotty

Quote Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
    I have collected many kinds of these transfers over the years and have some from what seems to be the fourties or fifties. They are very fun to use. I usually just use a sharpened number 3 lead pencil (or mechanical) to copy the used up designs by using a window as a light box.. I don't want to distort the design by using the transfer pencils. The "lead" pencil lines are a skinner anyways and are easier to cover with your stitches. I have a few my mom used a tranfer pencil on and they are really too thick.
    Some other patterns I love for embroidery are from say, bunny Hill or crabapple hill designs. They are very fun! Although some are so dang pricey!
    I have on occasion used a fine red Pigma pen if I am doing it as a redwork piece. That way, what doesn't wash out is not as noticeable since I am stitching over in red thread. Just a thought for others.
    Kathyd

I have some Sunbonnet Sue's. Those are cute. I'll see if I still have them and you are welcome to them.

Lori

P.S. I have a shop so give me till monday to find them.

Check Hobby Lobby for Sue Bonnet Sue patterns I has seen them there. I buy different ones all the time

Quote Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
    I LOVE Crabapple Hill designs, yes they are expensive but they are so stinkin cute. I am working on "Winter Wonderland" right now it is rather large and I only work on it when I get board with whatever else I am working on so it is taking awhile to get it done. oh, I am doing it in blue instead of red! It will get finished one of these days!

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    I started a thread ealier today about this the link is
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-52293-1.htm does anyone have the answer to my question????????????? thanks

I love the iron on transfers! I use them on --- I call them tea towels --- flour sack towels --- in the kitchen. I iron on the pattern and then color with fabric pens. (I embroidered a few then realized that was way too much effort to put into kitchen towels! LOL ) I've also used them for redwork quilts and general embroidery. The most recent project I've done were nursery rhyme characters. I colored them with crayons (the heat set method) and put them in a quilt for my GD. I did outline those with black fabric pen and used the pen on fine detail areas like eyes, nose, mouth etc... I have a bunch of them - I'm addicted.

Quote Originally Posted by trupeach1
    I started a thread ealier today about this the link is
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-52293-1.htm does anyone have the answer to my question????????????? thanks
    I gave a suggestion.

I got a big bunch for next to nothing on EBay. I see them there a lot, but quit looking since I already have more than I will ever use.

Blog Entries
    I just did a search and looks like the Company is still in business, I didn't realize that did you?

here is the link

http://www.acmenotions.com/aumahotirtr.html

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    Do they still make those things???? I remember grandma and mom having those and some of the older neighbor ladies used them too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast