Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do you use the Aunt Martha's Iron On Transfers? Let's Chit Chat!

Blog Entries

I have 4 books of transfer patterns that are 2 inches thick plus a bunch of Aunt Martha's that I had plus my mothers. I also draw my own patterns with a transfer pencil as I am an artist and quilter. I have made many patterns and should publish a book.

there are packages of blocks you can buy that are already stamped. Thin fabric but you can put a piece of cotton batting on the back and embroidery thur both. I have a cross stitch sue/sam that I did in purple, but the transfer make not iron, I'll look in out local stores for you if you'd like.

Blog Entries
    I have a lot of these patterns too. Someone suggested a red pen for darkening the patterns. Where do you get the pen?

Blog Entries
    Coloring with crayons (heat set) How do you do this? Are they just regular crayons? I was reading something on here the other day about taking older coloring books with the large simple pictures and transferring those to fabric.

They make fabric crayons. Several brands. Colors are subtle. I used to do pillow cases at childrens' parties with them. Check out Michael's. One of my friends used them to do onesies at a baby shower.

They also have them at the Ben Franklin stores. I love them and have done quite a few. I collelct wine fabrics and they have a great set of wine ones as well as a spice one and flowers and dogs and farm animals and lighthouses and whatever you might want. Do check them out.

the red pencils can be bought at Hancocks and the colors need to be crayola....you don't have to buy the fabric colors, these are just more expensive.

Found them at Walmart and also Hobby Lobby

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    Do they still make those things???? I remember grandma and mom having those and some of the older neighbor ladies used them too.
    You can get them at Hancock or JoAnn Fab. I used them for making quilts. Also check out Dover Books - they have fantastic iron on transfers. Edie

Blog Entries
    Yes, and I also use her transfer pencils.

I use to have tons of them, I think I got them free in a magazine. Years ago I used them on white sheets and painted them with the paint tubes, for my 2 girls bunk beds.

I reuse the Aunt Martha's Iron On Transfers several times, and when they are no longer transferable, I buy those tablets of paper that let you make new copies of the pattern, with the special pencils that they also sell, I can use the new copies several times also. So no pattern ever goes unused. My sister has a lot of the old old patterns that our grandmother had, and we have both make copies of them as the patterns were so old the would not transfer to material. You can buy the tablets and pencils at Herrschner's, or sometimes Hobby Lobby may have these items also. Good Luck!

I have a lot of Aunt Martha's embroidery transfers. I use them on tea towels for gifts. My grandchildren pick out flowers or animals and color them with fabric pens onto dish towels and give them to adults as a thank you for something special. I'm also teaching my granddaughters to embroider. I use the transfers for lots of things.
    Verna in So Cal

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn
    Yes I do. So does trupeach1. Mine are left from when my mother and grandmother did embroidery. I have noticed they don't iron on well as they age. Any suggestions?
    you can buy a transfer pencil, trace your design and iron it as you did before. works great and you get years more use. God bless. Penny

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Texaslady
    I reuse the Aunt Martha's Iron On Transfers several times, and when they are no longer transferable, I buy those tablets of paper that let you make new copies of the pattern, with the special pencils that they also sell, I can use the new copies several times also. So no pattern ever goes unused. My sister has a lot of the old old patterns that our grandmother had, and we have both make copies of them as the patterns were so old the would not transfer to material. You can buy the tablets and pencils at Herrschner's, or sometimes Hobby Lobby may have these items also. Good Luck!
    You can also get Aunt Martha's transfers through Herrschner's. Edie

Oh! I had a set for Myrtle the turtle days if the week but it was destroyed when the ceiling caved in from all the snow this past winter. I saved most of the fabric, but I lost a few patterns. I don't have the heart to purchase another set yet - I tell myself that once I make a significant dent in the projects I already have I can get them again.

Yes I use the iron on's I just bought a pk of baby animals to do a baby quilt.I was sitting on the swing emb. when I decided to take a break and go on the QB

I remember many years ago my mom using them.

Years ago, I ran across directions to use regular photocopies as iron ons. You just make a black copy of whatever, using a regular copy machine, and then iron it onto your fabric. I used this quite a bit to save time not tracing pieces when making a quilt that required lots of intricate applique pieces, so I didn't care if it washed out or not. Might be an inexpensive solution to several people's concerns....but just be sure to test first!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherbailey
    Years ago, I ran across directions to use regular photocopies as iron ons. You just make a black copy of whatever, using a regular copy machine, and then iron it onto your fabric. I used this quite a bit to save time not tracing pieces when making a quilt that required lots of intricate applique pieces, so I didn't care if it washed out or not. Might be an inexpensive solution to several people's concerns....but just be sure to test first!
    Great idea. I did not not know that.

Use the internet and "google" Sunbonnet Sue patterns...you'll get numerous designs, outlines and colored images to use FREE.

I am in need of some simple embroidery patterns for our Girl Scout Day camp in October ... we try to always teach the girls a skill they can do on their own.
    However, I have not been able to find things to make the blocks or blocks explicitly (so much has changed since I was a child :shock: )
    at any rate - - does anyone have a link to find these things at?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2