Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Ironing Binding Strips *** Why Not? >
  • Ironing Binding Strips *** Why Not?

• Ironing Binding Strips *** Why Not?

Old 10-11-2018, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by TAMARATJO
    I really like the idea of basting the quilt sandwich before binding. I am going to try that, as well as not ironing my binding first.
    Please let us know how it works out for you.
    Old 10-11-2018, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom
    Because of the other thread we talked about this in our small group yesterday where we are all press first. I have a piece of bias binding for a top that isn't quite finished yet, not sure when I'll be quilting and binding down but I'll try the no-iron method when its ready.

I'm worried I'm going to fuss in some issues with it being on bias. I think I'd be ok with straight grain. Only one way to find out!
    Try it and let us know please. I wasn't convinced at first about not pressing but tried it. For me, it was fine not to press. Less work too.
    Old 10-11-2018, 02:33 PM
    Power Poster

For sure, not pressing binding works for cross-grain binding. I'm not so sure it will work as well for bias binding because of the tendency of bias to ripple.
    Old 10-11-2018, 05:01 PM
    Power Poster

I press my bindings in half before sewing on. I cut strips WOF. I have never used bias binding.

I use to baste the edge of quilts before applying it. Now I use an old rotary blade and cut all layers straight, skipping the basting. My bindings look very nice. I sew on back, then machine sew on front. Looks great and easier on my hands.

I have made at least 350-400 quilts.

Different things for different folks.
    Old 10-11-2018, 06:25 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99
    For sure, not pressing binding works for cross-grain binding. I'm not so sure it will work as well for bias binding because of the tendency of bias to ripple.
    which is why i baste the edges of it together before sewing it to the quilt sandwich.

i use a long, narrow, zigzag stitch for the basting - sewn about 1/8 inch from the edge..

i wonder how glue basting the edges together would work?
    Old 10-12-2018, 02:33 AM

RhondaK, thank you for sharing the video...it certainly makes sense that the outer binding would need to be a tad wider to get around your quilt edge. I will give it a try on my next hand binding project. I wonder how it would work on a quilt where the binding is machine sewn? I machine bind many of the baby quilts I do.
    Old 10-12-2018, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    which is why i baste the edges of it together before sewing it to the quilt sandwich.

i use a long, narrow, zigzag stitch for the basting - sewn about 1/8 inch from the edge..

i wonder how glue basting the edges together would work?
    I use my serger to baste and clean up the edges
    Old 10-12-2018, 05:15 AM

JINGLE "I use to baste the edge of quilts before applying it. Now I use an old rotary blade and cut all layers straight, skipping the basting. My bindings look very nice. I sew on back, then machine sew on front. Looks great and easier on my hands."

Do you stitch in the ditch or use a decorative stitch on the front? I too have problem hands.
    Old 10-12-2018, 05:44 AM

I'm definitely going to try NOT pressing the binding next time. But I always say that and before I know it I'm pressing the binding out of habit without even thinking about it!
    Old 10-12-2018, 09:10 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by jmoore
    RhondaK, thank you for sharing the video...it certainly makes sense that the outer binding would need to be a tad wider to get around your quilt edge. I will give it a try on my next hand binding project. I wonder how it would work on a quilt where the binding is machine sewn? I machine bind many of the baby quilts I do.
    It works equally well for machine sewn bindings. Makes turning the binding easier. I glue baste bindings before finishing on the machine so I don’t have to deal with pins. Also places less pressure on my hands trying to hold a binding in place while sewing.