Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Storm at Sea piecing.... >

Storm at Sea piecing....

Storm at Sea piecing....

Old 11-03-2018, 01:32 PM

Default Storm at Sea piecing....

I have used colored pencils and drawn out my layout-ish! I collected batiks in Maui that I hope will reflect the gorgeous ocean there. I do not want to paper piece this quilt because I have another project in progress that is paper pieced, and I need a break! Haha.
Is the Deb Tucker tool as easy to use as hr video shows? I am not really a ruler person, but it looks so precise and easy. Any suggestions for other methods? I plan to do the diamond/rectangle blocks 3x6”.
I got the inspiration for this quilt from a picture, probably on this forum....but I saved the picture and not the information. I believe it had turtles on it....if you know the quilt, I would love to have the quiltmaker’s info!
Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails 836d79bc-ce02-43f5-b807-fb7a30fb5502.jpeg  

Last edited by jillmc; 11-03-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:47 PM

Your quilt will be beautiful, as far as Deb Tucker’s rulers, I like them, it’s all about over size and then trimming down. So, if waste bothers you then it might not be the method for you. I find that some of her rulers do require practice so do get out the scrap fabric and make a few blocks to get the hang of it.
I love batiks and can’t wait to see your quilt!
Old 11-03-2018, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

here is one in blues Storm at Sea, pieced but need quilting ideas
Old 11-03-2018, 02:08 PM
Power Poster

I've only used Deb Tuckers Wing Trimmer for FG units and I have to say it was super easy to use and makes very precise blocks. IMHO the waste is minimal. You have much more waste with PP. Usually you are only shaving off the slightest bit of fabric, like 1/16" to 1/8 if even that. What I love most about her rulers are the marks lining up where points would intersect so as long as you can sew an accurate 1/4" you should find them very easy to use. I would not hesitate to use her rulers for SAS but it would require you to buy two rulers; the Diamond Rec and the Square Squared. I think you would find other uses for them. Your layout is beautiful. I immediately saw the waves coming onto sand in your design.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:12 PM

I would definitely use DT Square Squared and Diamond Recs tools for my next SAS quilt. There are so many points to line up, and her methods make every unit the perfect size. There is a tiny bit of waste, but it is usually slivers. Can't wait to see your quilt - SAS is my favorite pattern!
Old 11-03-2018, 03:11 PM

I think there is a picture of a sas on accuquilt site that has colors like those. Very pretty pattern!
Old 11-04-2018, 01:23 AM

One perspective on waste is what about waste in time when you need to make extra blocks because they are too small or even the additional materials? We are human and can’t make everything exact although accuracy is important so i think a method that requires a little trimming is a good way to go.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:25 AM

Thanks, all....I have ordered the Triangle rects tool. I have made lots of square in square blocks, so for now, I feel pretty confidant that I can do those with traditional piecing.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jillmc View Post
Thanks, all....I have ordered the Triangle rects tool. I have made lots of square in square blocks, so for now, I feel pretty confidant that I can do those with traditional piecing.
I bet once you start using Deb's ruler you may change your mind. I have made thousands upon thousand of FG units and figured I had them down pat. I'd made them several different ways too, using the no waste method, the square to a rectangle method where you get the scrap HST (which ended up being my method of choice) and even cutting with templates so I was sewing two smaller triangle units to a larger one. Without a doubt Deb Tuckers Studio 180 is the best way and I will never go back to making FG units any other way. I have made a fair amount of Square in squares in my day and am very confident with that block but I would not hesitate to buy Deb's ruler if I had a quilt with a lot of them in it. JMHO.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:16 AM

I have no information on the DT rulers but just wanted to tell you that your quilt is going to be beautiful with those colors. You are so smart to make a drawing of it and then you have a pattern to go by. Good luck and please share with us on your progress.