Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ironing board cover >

Ironing board cover

Ironing board cover

Old 06-02-2020, 07:09 AM

RedGarnet-Thank you for the link on the ironing board cover tutorial. I have been looking for a new cover and not able to find a decent well made with good fabric one. I think I will be off to make an ironing board cover soon. I think I will try and get some heavier fabric other than just cotton. Maybe a light canvas would work.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
Here you go!
http://www.miracleironing.com/mm5/me...egory_Code=004
Edit to add: I have ordered from here. I couldn't remember the site but found it.
https://bigboardenterprises.com/bigboard/
Thank you, Rhonda, that would be the right size, but at $67.00 (wow!) I don't think I can do it. I can't believe it's that expensive and it doesn't even come with a pad.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Betty J View Post
I have been making ironing board covers for years, for myself and aslo for relatives and friends who have large older ironing boards. I quilt my fabric for the cover using pre quilted calico ( pre wash) pin the print fabric to the pre quilted calico ( print side down and the calico on top) and I quilt on the quilted calico side, on every second line making a quilted pattern approx 2 1/2 inches wide. I make a pattern from paper by turning the ironing board upside down. Pin the paper pattern to the quilted fabric and mark 2 3/4 - 3 inches all around. Cut out and add a casing 2 3/4 inches, and long enough to go all around the edge of the pattern. Turn a hem on one end and iron in half. Starting for the centre of the wide end stitch the casing all around, when almost at the end, cut and hem to met up with the starting point. I then overlock the seam and top stitch on the casing edge. Thread 1/4 inch elastic through the casing and thread the ends of the elastic through a toggle and knot off. This allows you to tighten the elastic if needed. I have just finished making 12 covers. I will attach some pics for you. Pictured is ironing board covers fro myself and my daughter. two for laundry and two for sewing room. By having two for each it allows for regular washing. I find I get about 8 - 10 years out of a cover depending on the thickness of the fabric. Curtain materials or sheeting are more durable then reqular quilting fabric.
Thank you for the detailed instructions and pictures. I'm happy for you that you can make these. Want to make one for me? Just joking!!
Old 06-02-2020, 05:41 PM

I found a canvas dropcloth works well. It's used for painting - found it at Home Hardware so I'd expect you could look at your local hardware stores. They will come in different weights.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by MeadowMist View Post
Thank you for the detailed instructions and pictures. I'm happy for you that you can make these. Want to make one for me? Just joking!!
I would gladly make one for you but the problem is, I am in Australia and overseas postage is horriffic. Postage time as well at the present, would take forever to reach you. The covers are not hard to make so I am sure you can soon make one. Good luck, not that you really need it to make these.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:54 PM

Forgot to mention that if you need a new underpad for the board, you can purchase 3 -5 mm felt and cut one to fit your board from that. I purchase mine from a Spotlight store here in Australia but I am sure you would have it available in the US.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:15 AM

Could you use your existing one as a pattern? That's how I make new ones for mine.I,too like the draw string and just finish off the edges with wide bias tape and you have an instant drawstring pockets all the way around.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:28 AM

Meadow Mist, I understand your sticker shock - I have an old Mary Proctor double flip ironing board that I found at the Salvation Army about 6 years ago. I let out a holler and did a little dance when I found it, because I had been looking for one for a while.
It has an odd shape, but I managed to find a cover and pad for it online. I ended up paying over $50.00 for it, and it never did fit properly; it was cut too small and didn't wrap around the edges enough and kept popping off.

Out of frustration I finally threw out the cover, but kept the pad to use as a pattern. I haven't made that one yet, but I made a cover for my regular ironing board and I love the way it fits. I know you would rather not make one, but I'm going to join the chorus of voices saying, "You can do this! It's really easy!"

And think about the money you'll save! 😁

Last edited by SherylM; 06-03-2020 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by SherylM View Post
Meadow Mist, I understand your sticker shock - I have an old Mary Proctor double flip ironing board that I found at the Salvation Army about 6 years ago. I let out a holler and did a little dance when I found it, because I had been looking for one for a while.
It has an odd shape, but I managed to find a cover and pad for it online. I ended up paying over $50.00 for it, and it never did fit properly; it was cut too small and didn't wrap around the edges enough and kept popping off.

Out of frustration I finally threw out the cover, but kept the pad to use as a pattern. I haven't made that one yet, but I made a cover for my regular ironing board and I love the way it fits. I know you would rather not make one, but I'm going to join the chorus of voices saying, "You can do this! It's really easy!"

And think about the money you'll save! 😁
After reading your post I decided to flip my ironing board over and see if there is a maker that would help in my search. Sure enough, it's also a Mary Proctor (I never heard of Mary Proctor before reading your post)! And it's a double flip which I never even knew, I thought just the end flipped up and down but I see the side does also. I bought it flipped up and it has stayed that way for 35 years! And the tag is still on it, $6.00 at a flea market.
I found a couple places that sell the cover for this board.
https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-C.../dp/B009QIGQZU

https://www.shopatclares.com/home-ch...proctor-silex/
Old 06-03-2020, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
My Mom has an ironing board like you describe. She hasn't been able to get a cover that worked with the expanding end in 40+ years, but there are ones available that are long enough for a 57" board. If you locate one with the expanding end, please post it!
Jennifer - check this out
https://www.shopatclares.com/ironing/