Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ironing Board Covers... do you wash them or throw them away?

I use a lot of starch, both for piecing and machine applique.

I throw it out and replace it when it's disgusting. There's just something about having a nice, clean, new ironing board cover...makes me happy!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by janRN
    I'm embarrassed to admit my ironing board and cover were wedding gifts--40 yrs ago!!!!! It was one of those silver heavy duty fabric (Prob had asbestos in it). I loved it cause it reflected the heat nicely. It finally got to the place where it was too stained and ripped around the edges. I searched high and low for a new--they were all light weight cotton with thin lining. I finally found one at Clothilde-it has the lines and measurements on it (which I don't use, not accurate) but it is thick canvas fabric and I kept my old one under it. I just couldn't throw it away LOL>

My ironing board was a wedding gift, also, nearly 65 yrs. ago. The cover has been replaced several times. Have often thought of getting an adjustable one, but those I have seen are so wobbly. Think I'll stick to my oldy as it's solid as a rock.

speaking of ironing boards & covers- I bought the neatest small ironing board to go next to my machine at my quilting store the other day. Someone was brilliant enought to cover a folding table (like you buy in sets of 4) w/ padding & reg. ironing board cover, stapled in on. I paid $22.00 for it but talk about handy! Those folding tables are usually sold in sets of 4 for about $30.00. Neat idea tho' cause it folds flat when I don't need it.

Why don't you make one? I've been making my own, out of much prettier fabrics, for years!

Quote Originally Posted by Peggi
    speaking of ironing boards & covers- I bought the neatest small ironing board to go next to my machine at my quilting store the other day. Someone was brilliant enought to cover a folding table (like you buy in sets of 4) w/ padding & reg. ironing board cover, stapled in on. I paid $22.00 for it but talk about handy! Those folding tables are usually sold in sets of 4 for about $30.00. Neat idea tho' cause it folds flat when I don't need it.
    you mean like a TV table? What a neat idea

Oh, that really brought back memories. My Mother had one of those and I wish I could find one. It never seemed to wear out and like you said, it reflected the heat. "Thanks for the memories"

Throw away. By the time they are that bad, they are usually scorched in some places too, and have adhesive build up that's difficult to remove. I LOVE a fresh new ironing board cover!

I throw mine out, but I make my own from rubber backed curtain fabric which I pick up from charity shops for next to nothing. The fabric reflects the heat really well. I always make two at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieM
    Thanks for the replies. The one I have on my ironing board has threads sticking to the surface from starching. I don't like to use my "quilting" cover when I am ironing slacks, blouses, etc.

I was afraid to wash it until now, for fear of damaging the washer..LOL

You iron slacks, blouses, etc? What kind of quilter are you, anyway? (LOL). I thought irons were supposed to be dedicated to sewing!

I took a piece of plywood almost 36" square, laid a piece of batting on it then a piece of fabric. Gives more ironing room and keeps the starch off of the ironingboard cover.
    Linda

Power Poster
    Wash them until they disintegrate.

For starching - the very few times I've done it - I put another layer of fabric over the ironing board cover - so then I can just pick it up and toss it - or put the fabrics to be starched/sized on a cookie sheet and spray them there.

I use my Big Board ironing surface as my cutting table - and my cat also "assists" - so I use a lint roller between washings to get stray stuff off the surface. Cutting lint - cat "lint"

Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    Oh JanRN, we can only wonder what else you have kept for 40 years! LOL!
    I can outdo her, my ironing board is 66 yrs. old. I got it from my Mom and she got it for a wedding shower gift. My parents celebrated their 66 wedding anniversary last June. I have made a larger board that fits over the top of it for a larger pressing surface for quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieM
    I have one that is stiff with starch. Just curious.
    I wash mine, but all the new ones say DONT WASH, so I made mine, even the pattern, then I saw a sewing room accessories pattern that has one, can't remember whose pattern at the moment tho.

I have one of those heavy ones with rulers and grid printed on it etc. I priced a new one and decided to try washing it first before I put that kind of money into another one. It washed quite well and also shrunk it a little, so now it fits tighter than it did when it was dirty. Wash it. The worst thing that can happen is it will fall apart and you'll have to get a new one anyway.

I've never washed one. The one I have now has a teflon coating so I don't have much trouble with things sticking to it.

Make a new one & throw the old one out.

I don't buy the regular ironing board covers. I use cotton batting as my padding and muslin for my cover. If you have a regular ironing board just pin under it, if you have a big board my husband made me I justlayer on and staple under side. Works wonderful.

My ironing board cover has a cover (LOL). I have a quick pattern for making a cotton cover which I put on over the original one. When it wears out or gets really ugly looking, I just toss it and make a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I just throw them away and get a new one. By the time I need a new one they generally have been starched and scorched enough they would probably fall apart in the wash.
    The same with mine I use it untell I can't stand it some times I put new over old and when it gets too much strip it and start fresh

Quote Originally Posted by fireworkslover
    Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    Oh JanRN, we can only wonder what else you have kept for 40 years! LOL!
    I can outdo her, my ironing board is 66 yrs. old. I got it from my Mom and she got it for a wedding shower gift. My parents celebrated their 66 wedding anniversary last June. I have made a larger board that fits over the top of it for a larger pressing surface for quilting.
    Well, if we're comparing the age of the ironing board, not the cover, I want to play. The one in my studio is one of those antique all wooden ones. :lol:

I just buy a new one.

Blog Entries
    I USUALLY THROW THEM AWAY UNLESS THEY ARE THE SILVER TEFLON TYPE AND THEN I WILL CUT AWAY THE GOOD PART TO PUT ON THE BOARD MY HUSBAND MADE ME (SMALL IRONING BOARD) FOR WHEN I AM WORKING ON APPLIQUE AND DON'T REALLY NEED THE BIG IRONING BOARD. LATELY SINCE I HAVE TWO OVER THE DOOR IRONING BOARDS AND FOUND THAT THE COVERS WERE HARD TO FIND I HAVE MADE MY OWN COVERS. SOME REAL CUTE ONE'S ARE MADE WITH THE SEWERS FABRIC THAT HAS PRINTS OF CUTTING MATS TOOLS ETC....

I've washed mine several times.

Blog Entries
    I make my own covers from decorator fabric on sale (cheap) @ JoAnn's. I just add a new one over the top of the old. They are EASY to make and I can change the LOOK and COLORS in my sewing room that way!

would love to have one of those again. They are great.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast