Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4
Results 76 to 97 of 97

Thread: Ironing Board Covers... do you wash them or throw them away?

  1. #76
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,236
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieM
    I have one that is stiff with starch. Just curious.
    I throw them away. Too much trouble to wash them. Just take the old one and cut out a pattern, put some strings through the facings and you have a brand new ironing board cover. Better yet, put a protective brown paper over your good one, then a muslin sheet. When the muslin sheet gets full of starch, rip it off and wash it. Might also have to change the paper. I used to do this many years ago when my girls were toddlers. In those day they wore, stiffly starched ruffly dresses.

  2. #77
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,236
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieM
    I have one that is stiff with starch. Just curious.
    I throw them away. Too much trouble to wash them. Just take the old one and cut out a pattern, put some strings through the facings and you have a brand new ironing board cover. Better yet, put a protective brown paper over your good one, then a muslin sheet. When the muslin sheet gets full of starch, rip it off and wash it. Might also have to change the paper. I used to do this many years ago when my girls were toddlers. In those day they wore, stiffly starched ruffly dresses.

  3. #78
    Super Member desertrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northern New Hampshire
    Posts
    1,943
    Quote Originally Posted by janRN
    I'm embarrassed to admit my ironing board and cover were wedding gifts--40 yrs ago!!!!! It was one of those silver heavy duty fabric (Prob had asbestos in it). I loved it cause it reflected the heat nicely. It finally got to the place where it was too stained and ripped around the edges. I searched high and low for a new--they were all light weight cotton with thin lining. I finally found one at Clothilde-it has the lines and measurements on it (which I don't use, not accurate) but it is thick canvas fabric and I kept my old one under it. I just couldn't throw it away LOL>
    I'll have to remember that because when I replaced my, 30 something one, I was very unhappy with the choice of the newer ones too. I wish I'd thought of saving my old one to use as lining for pot holders. I was afraid the EPA would have arrested me for spreading asbestos laced pot holders...LOL

    Andie

  4. #79

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Stony Creek NY
    Posts
    219
    I just saw on tip's web page how to make a ironing board cover

  5. #80
    Power Poster earthwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    10,327
    Wash 'em 'til they fall to bits, then get another. Am seriously thinking of making my own...can't find any new ones that look any good.

  6. #81
    Super Member luvTooQuilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Posts
    7,115
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieM
    Thanks for the replies. The one I have on my ironing board has threads sticking to the surface from starching. I don't like to use my "quilting" cover when I am ironing slacks, blouses, etc.

    I was afraid to wash it until now, for fear of damaging the washer..LOL
    I make my own covers out of thick cotton heavy duty stuff- , wash them when they become stiff and its only for quilts - I use a behind the door ironing board for my clothes.. If its really stiff as a board Ill rinse it out some first..

  7. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    417
    I just pour a bottle of peroxyde (bought at the dollar store) over the the stains, let it soak in for the night and then wash it in the machine.

  8. #83
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Oregon City, OR
    Posts
    876
    Mines was fairly expensive so I really think I should wash it. Sure needs it!

  9. #84
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    142
    I agree ... trash the old one and get a new one. I learned a new tip a while back. Before preparing applique pieces with fusible or starch, etc. FIRST iron a piece of freezer paper to your ironing board cover then all the stuff stays on the freezer paper and you can peel it off and throw that away instead. Cheaper than a new cover.

  10. #85
    Senior Member connie_1936's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    mesa and payson, arizona
    Posts
    805
    Blog Entries
    3
    i use the old one as a pattern and make new ones in a fun fabric

  11. #86
    Peggi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mich. beautiful U.P.
    Posts
    166
    that's exactly what they used, a folding tv tray (just couldn't think of what they were called). I can't tell you how much I am enjoying it. :D .

  12. #87
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    38
    I wash mine when it gets badly stained. The one I am using now is one I made from fabric bought at WalMart. Won't find that any more since they have closed their fabric department. I could not find one already made that I liked so made my own. and it has been really great. When I need to make another one I'll us a white bed sheet.

  13. #88
    Senior Member DeniseP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lewiston, Maine
    Posts
    532
    Blog Entries
    3
    I have washed mine so many times I can't see the pattern much anymore, but it still works!

  14. #89
    Ms. Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Madison Heights, VA
    Posts
    1,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I just throw them away and get a new one. By the time I need a new one they generally have been starched and scorched enough they would probably fall apart in the wash.
    WOW!!!! Scissor Queen, I can only dream of having such beautiful scissor's as you have in your avatar pic!

  15. #90
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Central TX
    Posts
    421
    Quote Originally Posted by janRN
    I'm embarrassed to admit my ironing board and cover were wedding gifts--40 yrs ago!!!!! It was one of those silver heavy duty fabric (Prob had asbestos in it). I loved it cause it reflected the heat nicely. It finally got to the place where it was too stained and ripped around the edges. I searched high and low for a new--they were all light weight cotton with thin lining. I finally found one at Clothilde-it has the lines and measurements on it (which I don't use, not accurate) but it is thick canvas fabric and I kept my old one under it. I just couldn't throw it away LOL>
    I bought one of these also but when I washed it, it shrunk so bad I couldn't get it back on my ironing board. :cry:

  16. #91
    Senior Member AnnaF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hermon ME
    Posts
    684
    I do wash my cover when it's soiled but once it's really wearing I toss it and make another one. I have a larger than normal ironing board and the replacement covers are pretty pricey so I just make a new one..I use batting for the cushion underneath. Works fine for me.

  17. #92
    Senior Member AnnaF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hermon ME
    Posts
    684
    Oxyclean is a wonderful product.

  18. #93
    Super Member GailG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I just throw them away and get a new one. By the time I need a new one they generally have been starched and scorched enough they would probably fall apart in the wash.
    Same here!

  19. #94
    Super Member Marilynsue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Mid Michigan
    Posts
    1,014
    Blog Entries
    3
    When I buy a new cover, I pin a double layer of white flannel across the the board where I do most of the ironing, and when that is pretty well soiled I remove it and replace it with a new flannel cover. I've had my new cover on the board for a couple of years and have no discoloring at all. :-)

  20. #95
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SW Colorado
    Posts
    1,116
    I wash them at least once, after that I replace them.

  21. #96
    Super Member cjaye44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    AL
    Posts
    1,541
    Blog Entries
    16
    I have several that I have made from pieces of home dec fabric which is a little heavier. This way I can have one on the board, one in the wash and one to spare.

  22. #97
    Super Member Annya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Queensland Australia
    Posts
    1,387
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy
    Wash.
    Ditto--wash.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.