Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ironing Board >

Ironing Board

Ironing Board

Old 04-11-2021, 07:09 AM

I made myself the heavy piece of furniture because I had the room to set up a big, dedicated pressing station...which I love!! I can press something over 1/2 yard all at once.

I know it is not what you are looking for but I bought an old IKEA table off Craigslist, covered it with two layers of batting and then a subtle paint-speckled print by McKenna Ryan (??) and stapled all in place. I too set it on risers to bring the table to hip bone height, sure saves the back. I would love to cover it in wool felt but so far have not found a felt wide enough.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:21 AM

I personally wouldn't try it not only because of fumes that could be dangerous but because but because of the potential fire hazard.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:59 AM

Check out the links I put in my previous message. They have wool you can buy inn different thicknesses and by the yard. Some have a width of 60 inches and one is 72” wide. Not sure the size of your table, but you might give them a try. I think they can actually make what you want.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:25 AM

I have watched several Utube videos on recovering an old ironing board and found it was very interesting to see what everyone uses as a base.
Old 04-19-2021, 04:24 AM

I just recently purchased a wool saddle pad that might work nicely for you. They are 30” x 30” and are around $26 at State Line Tack: https://www.statelinetack.com/item/m...ner/SLT901243/. If you need to cover the whole table, two would easily do it.
Old 06-01-2021, 04:41 AM

Thrifty Magpie. How is that saddle pad working for you? That is a good price.

I have a desk i am going to use the same as aforrestall. I have an old wool blanket and was pondering about using it.
Do you guys think i would need to cover it with the silver iron pad fabrics?

I read you use maybe 4 layers of batting and then the iron pad silver fabric.

If i can iron right on an iron wool mat, why cant i just use the old wool blanket? Not add additional layers?
Old 06-01-2021, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

I bought one of those Big Boards - already made - maybe 10-15 years ago - and I really like it! DH could probably have made one for less $, but I wanted it "then". It is made of high quality plywood.

Anyway, I also ordered a "pad" and "covering" for it at the time. The pad was only a thin layer - maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick of what appeared to be a "felted" type of polyester batting - cut rather skimpily - barely covered the top of the board, and the covering appeared to be a cotton twill that had a drawstring to hold it on. Also cut skimpily, but it is/was removable and could be washed.

i had to put it back on the board damp when I washed it in order to stretch it to cover the board.

I eventually replaced the "padding" with two layers of heavy/thick "interfacing" - like used for giving bags body - and muslin for the top. I safety pin the ends and use elastic strips "under the middle" to keep it in place.

I did not care for the idea of a cover stapled to the board, because my ironing board covers need to be washed or replaced every so often.

I have to wash it every so often because it gets yucky.

I did buy a horse blanket for a wool padding. I cut it down to be the width of the top and made a muslin "ipillow case" for it because it shed and I wanted a washable cover for it. I don't like the curved edges, but in retrospect, I could have cut them off, instead of making two fairly decent sized pads.

My ironing board is a very sturdy "oldie" and up all the time. I can remove the Big Board from it, but don't very often. For "little" things that need a pointy end, I use something smaller - I have sleeve boards, etc.

I was very surprised at what the Big Board Company sent for the "padding". It has not melted yet, and I usually iron/press with a cotton setting.

Last edited by bearisgray; 06-01-2021 at 05:03 AM.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:00 PM

Fizzle, I am enjoying the saddle pad as a pressing surface! I put a non-stick Teflon coated mat underneath it to protect the surface from excess moisture, but it tends to slide a bit so I will try putting a grip ‘n grip mat underneath.

I think two or three layers of wool blanket should make a nice pressing surface, especially if you felt the wool in the washing machine.