Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Ironing cover fabric

Ironing cover fabric

Just wondering, has anyone ever used the silver fabric used for ironing board covers on the back side of pot holders? Does it work? Will also have the heat type batting in between layers.
    Jeanann

Theres nothing wrong with me a little chocolate won't fix.

I owned some pot holders like that once, but it was a long time ago. I guess that it worked then, so it ought to work now?

Dina

No, but I've made an ironing pad, which would be about the same. In addition to the silver ironing board cover fabric, you'll need the insulbrite and at least one more layer of cotton batting. I'm very sensitive to heat, so I might even add a second layer of cotton batting. But try it with one.

Blog Entries
    i had a worn out ironing board cover, so cut the good parts from the ends and used them in pot holders. they were gifted, so don't know if they worked, but i didn't get any negative feedback.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

yes, I use it if I have it around.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Thanks for input. I am making some as gifts and wanted them to be super heat resistant.
    Jeanann

Theres nothing wrong with me a little chocolate won't fix.

I'm glad you posted this, I was wondering this very thing a couple weeks ago!

Blog Entries
    I've used it for curling iron liners along with batting and the fabric worked well for me.
    ie. used the curling iron one morning left to go out when I came home the iron was in the bag still on, didn't burn any thing , lucky don't you think !

yes I made a big square using the silver fabric and some batting (put silver on front and back) I have it on a small table next to the table where I sew along with my old iron I got at the thrift store 7 years ago for $1.59

I mess up the surface of my ironing board so often that I've started putting freezer paper over the oh-oh areas and taping them down tight. Amazingly, it works very well. I have a problem of thinking I have one type of fabric liner on my fabric, or just simply forget, and at least once a month (if not each week) mess up my ironing board surface. The freezer paper has worked so well. Of course my board is getting higher and higher, but it needs to be LOL!