Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ironing help needed! >

Ironing help needed!

Ironing help needed!

Old 05-18-2013, 03:10 AM
Power Poster

is it 100% cotton? sometimes broadcloth is a poly blend---those are much more difficult to get set in wrinkles out of. I keep a spray bottle of water on my ironing board- spritz as I go- heavily on the really wrinkled area- but then- if your fabric is a blend it may not work- I at times use either sizing or starch- but usually water does the trick
Old 05-18-2013, 03:18 AM

I wash my fabrics, press straight from the washing machine while still wet. Takes a bit longer to get it dry but no wrinkles
Old 05-18-2013, 04:33 AM

I'm making a cathedral windows quilt at the moment using muslin. When I wash the pieces (3-4 yards at a time) it comes out of the dryer pretty wrinkled. I press but I haven't worried too much about the faint wrinkles that remain. After I've sewn the ends, turned it inside out, pressed the corners and stitched into the smaller squares, the wrinkles don't show anyway. Good luck with your project..... don't stress too much over it. Cathedral window quilts are beautiful and I imagine you won't be ironing it after washing once it's finished.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:16 AM

I agree, iron while damp.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:20 AM

I have had great success using a solution of half vinegar and half water. Spray, let set for a few minutes and then press. This has worked for me every single time on some really tough set in folds/creases.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:30 AM

An update here's what I did: cut the fabric into 2 yard pieces, put them in the dryer with a damp cloth for 15 mins, hung them on the line and sprayed them with downey wrinkle releaser (actually a homemade version: 1 c. water to 3 T. fabric softener) and tugged on the fabric to get the big wrinkles out. Then I ironed the pieces, not using starch but using a bunch of steam. And I ended up replacing my old dinky iron with a new one that puts out a lot of steam. A lot of steps just for wrinkle-less fabric, but it worked! Thanks again!
Old 06-20-2013, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Iron while still damp. Check the content of your broadcloth also. I had one recently that had polyester in it even though it said 100 % cotton. How do I know? The iron shrunk it like crazy.
Did you also give it a burn test? Some cottons will also shrivel.

Which is one of the reasons that I'm in 'the soak/wash before cutting group.'
Old 06-20-2013, 05:13 PM

How about like we did 40 years ago. Sprinkle the material with water, fold it, put it in an old pillow case and put it in the frig over night. A little spray starch and it works wonders.