Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Ironing help needed!

Ironing help needed!

Hello quilters!

I am working on a cathedral quilt and bought about 15 years of broadcloth. I pre-washed and have been trying to iron the stuff, but some of the creases won't budge! Any tips to reduce wrinkles without ironing?

Thanks in advance!

Katie

I would cut it down into 3 yard pieces than throw it back in the dryer with a wet towel for a few minutes. Remove and iron. If that doesn't work than I would rewash the fabric (on rinise) , dry to almost dry and than iron. Others may have other options.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Have you tried putting smaller sections of the fabric back in the dryer with a wet towel?

Dakotamaid - great minds think alike! Same solution at the same time.

Are you using spray starch?

Thanks for the tips everyone! @mckwilter I am not using any starch, should I be?

Personally, I think spray starch should be left until all the winkles are out or they could get set. It may depend on how big and "dense" the winkles are. Just my honest opinion.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Power Poster
    Iron while still damp. Check the content of your broadcloth also. I had one recently that had polyester in it even though it said 100 % cotton. How do I know? The iron shrunk it like crazy.

Some people use starch on everything. I am not one of those people. I agree with dakotamaid that if you make one little oops while ironing, you could have a bigger wrinkle than when you started.

Before they came up with spray starch, Mom would prepare starch by mixing powder with water, then heating it on the stove. Then, all cottons that needed ironing were dipped in a watered down solution and hung out to dry. After it was dry, we would dampen the pieces with water, fold it up, wrap it in a towel, and let it "rest" in the refrigerator for a few hours before pressing with a dry iron. I'm telling you this because you can try duplicating this by taking the fabric, spraying it with spray starch, and then fold, wrap and refrigerate. The starch spreads evenly into the fabric while it is resting and irons smoothly.

Blog Entries
    I would spray with water only on the worst places. Look up iron clapper and using a steam iron try the clapper. I star he'd some fabric and then dried too much the clapper worked took time but steam under the wood was great.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    is it 100% cotton? sometimes broadcloth is a poly blend---those are much more difficult to get set in wrinkles out of. I keep a spray bottle of water on my ironing board- spritz as I go- heavily on the really wrinkled area- but then- if your fabric is a blend it may not work- I at times use either sizing or starch- but usually water does the trick
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I wash my fabrics, press straight from the washing machine while still wet. Takes a bit longer to get it dry but no wrinkles
    Sheena

I'm making a cathedral windows quilt at the moment using muslin. When I wash the pieces (3-4 yards at a time) it comes out of the dryer pretty wrinkled. I press but I haven't worried too much about the faint wrinkles that remain. After I've sewn the ends, turned it inside out, pressed the corners and stitched into the smaller squares, the wrinkles don't show anyway. Good luck with your project..... don't stress too much over it. Cathedral window quilts are beautiful and I imagine you won't be ironing it after washing once it's finished.

I agree, iron while damp.

I have had great success using a solution of half vinegar and half water. Spray, let set for a few minutes and then press. This has worked for me every single time on some really tough set in folds/creases.

An update here's what I did: cut the fabric into 2 yard pieces, put them in the dryer with a damp cloth for 15 mins, hung them on the line and sprayed them with downey wrinkle releaser (actually a homemade version: 1 c. water to 3 T. fabric softener) and tugged on the fabric to get the big wrinkles out. Then I ironed the pieces, not using starch but using a bunch of steam. And I ended up replacing my old dinky iron with a new one that puts out a lot of steam. A lot of steps just for wrinkle-less fabric, but it worked! Thanks again!

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Iron while still damp. Check the content of your broadcloth also. I had one recently that had polyester in it even though it said 100 % cotton. How do I know? The iron shrunk it like crazy.
    Did you also give it a burn test? Some cottons will also shrivel.

Which is one of the reasons that I'm in 'the soak/wash before cutting group.'

How about like we did 40 years ago. Sprinkle the material with water, fold it, put it in an old pillow case and put it in the frig over night. A little spray starch and it works wonders.
    Syl