Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Irons >

Irons

Irons

Old 07-11-2020, 06:51 AM

Could someone please explain what are the differences that the amount of watts would have in an iron and it's performance? My T-Fal is 1500w - it heats up quicky and hold's it's heat setting for long periods of time.

My iron is getting close to giving up - It is a T-Fal Ultraglide Diffusion - truly like this one & it has lasted me about 10 years - I would like to get another but unfortunately I don't think they make this model any more. Before this one I had 2 Rowentas that leaked every where.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:18 AM

Default Black and Decker classic iron

Love it. I have two. Can get
them on Amazon. I took mine to a retreat and the gals bought them on line while there and they would be at home when they returned.
good weight. Heats fast. Just love it
Old 07-12-2020, 06:40 AM

I found my Rowenta for $5 at the thrift store. I like it, but it's heavy. For those more detailed pressing projects, I have a small, lightweight, Black & Decker that was probably the cheapest thing that they had at Walmart at the time I purchased it. Both are good at what they do and I didn't spend a fortune to find out.

Thrift store shopping is probably out right now, but check on Ebay, Goodwill's site and Craig's List. You can buy more than one iron, test them out and re-sell the ones that you don't want on Ebay.

~ C
Old 07-12-2020, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

High wattage irons has the most heat output and heats up faster, having less issues with steam and water drips and the higher the wattage the less effort on the iron to reach desired temp. It's mostly a matter of preference and cost.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:37 AM

Thanks for the info OnebyOne - there are so many choices but knowing the sprecifics helps
Old 07-15-2020, 06:01 AM

If you are purchasing a Rowenta, be sure to get the one made in Germany. I had the one made in China, from the get-go it leaked like a seive. Replaced that with one from Sears. Doesn't leak, but neither does it steam or spray. I am replacing it with the German Rowenta.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:21 AM

Does anyone know what kind of iron (or system) it is that Donna Jordan uses in her videos?? It looks like a true workhorse and when she wants steam, she really gets it and easily works back and forth - steam / no steam. I'd love to have something like that.