Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
irons--will the teflon bottom get glidier??? >

irons--will the teflon bottom get glidier???

irons--will the teflon bottom get glidier???

Old 05-08-2011, 06:09 PM

I have a hamilton beach from Walmart and it has the stainless bottom. I had a shark also that leaked and I return it.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Beebonnet
I'm on my third iron in about a year and a half. 2 Rowentas and now a cheapy off beat brand. The Rowentas started leaking like sieves. The last one just ran water all over. What a mess. They never did produce much steam, then just went to the leaking thing. I had a great old Rowenta for years before the bad ones. You took the reservoir off to fill it. I loved that iron, but it finally gave up the ghost. The new one has a stainless steel sole plate, it steams pretty good, does not have auto off, and is small and lightweight. It feels like the 20 dollars I paid, but at least it works. What is the matter with irons these days??
Mind telling us what brand this iron you are using is? Enquiring minds want to know.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:16 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I have had a Sunbeam, bought from Wal-Mart 2 yrs ago. self shut off, steam works and no gliding problems
Old 05-09-2011, 04:18 AM

I have an iron with stainless steel plate and love it. So easy to clean with a metaless scratcy pad when it has a build up of starch or whatever. I'm still in 'waking up mode' and not about to walk 50' to where my iron is in my sewing room so I can remind myself of the brand. Sorry 'bout that! Was a cheapie!
Old 05-09-2011, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by barnbum
I bought a Sunbeam Classic...and just used it but the bottom does not glide! The Shark had a stainless bottom I think and this is teflon??? Hate it!! Does it get better or am I returning it tomorrow for the $6 one??? :|
Mine has the same problem and it did not get better. I sent a message to Sunbeam about it and they replaced it. The new one had the exact same problem. I did not pursue it any further.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:29 AM

I bought the cheapest one at Walmart I could find. It does good and has lasted for several years now. Has a stainless bottom. I don't think I'd have a Teflon one. Go stainless!!
Old 05-09-2011, 04:30 AM

I have the Black and Decker from Walmart and it has the stainless bottom and I really like it. It also does really good with the steam.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Ugh!!!! That made me want to get an iron with a plain metal soleplate.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:52 AM

I always buy cheap irons and they work just fine. Now I know how to clean them since I saw the post on here. I have several irons I had put away because I could not get them clean. I used the ceramic stove top cleaner on the cold irons and they are just like new. I don't remember who posted this but I sincerely thank them. I had 6 irons I could not get clean. LOL Now I have 6 good irons.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:42 AM

My mother ironed quickly across a piece of wax paper and that made the bottom of her iron glide faster. I have had both teflon and steel and used that method when I thought the iron needed help.
Heat the iron on cotton, lay a piece of wax paper on your board and just skim across it fast.
I don't use steam at all in my irons, a light spray with a bottle of water does the trick for me, no more rust spots or water spots.

Carol J.