Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Isn't there something that you all use to.....

Isn't there something that you all use to.....

clean up your cutting mats? I've been cutting a lot of squares for the cathedral window quilt I'm making and I'm starting to see lines in my mat where I've cut in the same spot. I think I've seen where you all had a solution for this but I can't remember what it is. I will start cutting in different spots but other than that, what can I do??

I use a ktchen sponge or even a damp cloth. You reminded me to turn my cutting mat.

I have the same problem and my mat is less than a year old and I bought a ghinger mat, self healing even! haha
    I turn mine so I cut on the other end, to bad they don't print them on both sides so you could just flip them over!!
    I'll be watching to see if there is "fix it" for this....

I just finished making a confetti quilt and that certainly left my mat a mess. I just wiped it with a damp sponge. There is a cutting mat cleaner you can buy, but my sponge did a fine job.

Blog Entries

Do you need to clean it or are those cut lines from your rotery cutter? Run your fingernail over it, if you feel a ridge it is a cut in the mat. Repeated cutting on the same line will eventully cut the mat.

Banned
    I bought the round small mat surface cleaner thing - didn't work at all. Am told it'll work if you start using it early enough - my mat was well past early-enuf.
    I bought myself a new huge cutting mat for my table and I now buy Fiskars 7" square rotating mats at Joanns with a coupon - when they start giving me trouble - I toss them and buy another (with a coupon).
    The only time I cut on the new big mat is when they're large pieces or strips - and then I use the surface cleaner over where I've cut.

I was told at a quilt show, you should soak your mat in the bathtub to rejuvenate them. The Olfa mats love water. Good reminder to myself, this is something I have been going to try.
    Last edited by Silver Needle; 10-22-2012 at 08:11 AM.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

I recently went to ca craft show, and bought a "big-mat", which I love, love, love!!!! Anyhow, this particular mat is cleans with a small square of plastic, like a ruler. and then soap and water.
    Mats are a tricky thing, because if you use them too much, they don't "self-heal" and it is very hard to get marks out.

Someone told me to use Mr Clean Eraser sponges??

delma

Blog Entries
    fons & porter say to soak the mat in white vinegar and warm water (NOT HOT) for about an hour, keep it flat, when you take it brush with a soft brush (like a mushroom brush), then dry and it will be like new again
    Patski
    always learning

I have read that an eraser will take away those lines. I am guess a gummy eraser would be the best to use.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kat13 View Post
    I have the same problem and my mat is less than a year old and I bought a ghinger mat, self healing even! haha
    I turn mine so I cut on the other end, to bad they don't print them on both sides so you could just flip them over!!
    I'll be watching to see if there is "fix it" for this....

Actually, Fiskars makes 18" X 24" reversible cutting mats.
    I have two of them -- one is pale green on one side and pale yellow on the reverse side.
    The other mat is pale blue on one side and pale lavender on the reverse side.

Power Poster
    I have the green Omnigrid Matt that is beginning to show some marks that no longer heal. It is about 20 years old so I just flipped it over to use the back and it is still going strong. Different matts have different recovery rates. For getting the fuzzy fabric bits I have heard of the Mr. Clean magic erasers and someone on QB recommended the large 4 inch pink erasers from the Dollar store. You know the joke ones that say "big erasers for big mistakes"?

Thanks, you all.... I washed it with water and vinegar and it helped. I do think that it just got too dried out. There aren't any cuts so I think I did it in time.

Yeah I was going to suggest the water and vinegar soak. Mine love a bath LOL

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    thanks for this subject! I am going to try this before mine gets past his prime. and who doesn't love a good soak!?
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

Quote Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
    clean up your cutting mats? I've been cutting a lot of squares for the cathedral window quilt I'm making and I'm starting to see lines in my mat where I've cut in the same spot. I think I've seen where you all had a solution for this but I can't remember what it is. I will start cutting in different spots but other than that, what can I do??
    Be careful where you store your mats. DH was moving stuff in the room and put mine behind a dresser but he got it between the wall and the baseboard heater. It was a little warped but usable. Then he wanted to use a heat gun to straighten it out. I said no, you've done enough damage, that it was just fine and it might finally straighten itself. Didn't use it for a few weeks and when I got it out it was straight. I knew it would flatten again but my quilt pieces didn't exactly match and I was having lots of trouble with them. I struggled for days and then DH asked how it was working. He had used the heat gun to straighten it out unbeknownst to me. It shrunk the mat that it wasn't noticable but really was ruined for depending on the measurements, etc on it.

You just reminded me it's time to clean my self-healing mat.

This is a very interesing and informative thread! I have used a sweeper dust cloth on my old one and it takes the threads out really well. Unfortunately it has a lot of cuts in it and I never tried to soak it. Bought new ones - 2 of the Omigrid that "hook" together and are the green self healing. They are new so still work and look great. Still think I will soak my old one for the heck of it. Thanks again for all of your ideas.

I use a dry gathered bath scrubber. I don't remember what they are called, but even dollar tree has them. Theyare made from probably polyester but look like netting.They work pretty well.
    Lizzy in La.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I have the green Omnigrid Matt that is beginning to show some marks that no longer heal. It is about 20 years old so I just flipped it over to use the back and it is still going strong. Different matts have different recovery rates. For getting the fuzzy fabric bits I have heard of the Mr. Clean magic erasers and someone on QB recommended the large 4 inch pink erasers from the Dollar store. You know the joke ones that say "big erasers for big mistakes"?
    I tried the eraser on my mat but it didn't help. Unfortunately, my mat is too big to fit in the tub. Now if I just had a swimming pool....
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Just one other thought ---- i have found that a dull blade is often the culprit when i notice damage to my mats.
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

If your mat is too big to lay flat in the tub- where would you soak it? I think the chlorine in a swimming pool would not be good for it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

I was just kidding about the swimming pool. I think you could use a child's wading pool or something similar. Naturally, I don't have one of those either.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast