Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Isolette blankets >

Isolette blankets

Isolette blankets

Old 08-28-2013, 07:32 AM

I can't speak to the size, but if you want a special look without much extra work, check out the tutorial on Missouri Star Quilt company for a self binding blanket...by cutting back larger than the front, you can stitch a border on the front with very little extra work...makes it more special. I tried making one and it's great - especially with only the front and back fabric, which is what the tutorial shows.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:33 AM

There's a pattern for a self binding baby blanket made with just two layers of flannel. They're really pretty fast and easy to make and I'd think that two layers of flannel or one layer of flannel and one of cotton would be heavy enough.

I found the tutorial for you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqwdNqMZ8Ro
Old 08-28-2013, 07:37 AM

I have been making quilts for the NICU for several years. I use quality fabric, warm and natural for the batting. 24 x 24 is a good size, and the quilts are given to the babies as they go home. They are not used in the NICU, therefore, are not subject to the harshness of the hopsital laundry. I always wash and dry the fabric so there isn't any shrinking when the parents wash the quilt. I am known as the "Quilt Lady".....it is nice to hear that when I bring the next bunch in!
Old 08-28-2013, 07:45 AM

Found this pattern

http://quilttallahassee.com/activiti...olette-covers/
Old 08-28-2013, 09:09 AM

One of our Guild's Community Quilt groups makes them for a local hospital. They are all with donated fabric, after all, who doesn't need to clean their stash every once in a while. They use them over and over unless a family gets attached to one. They are quite colorful in neonatal and make the area look homier for the babies. They also make what is gently referred to as "butt warmers" which are tiny 14 x 18 flannel blankets to place the babies on in the incubators.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:20 AM

Our quilt guild has made quilts for the NICU for years. They want a "real" quilt, but a fairly large one and they just drape it over the isolette. We do not put dark fabrics on the back so there is a bit of light but not a lot. When the parents take the baby home they get to keep the quilt. Mostly we use cotton tops and backs, and warm and natural type batting but whatever you choose is acceptable.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:43 AM

I've never heard the term 'isolette warmer' before. However, I have made quilts that measure 36"x36" before for our Special Care Nursery. About once a season I make one and give it to the first SCN nurse I see. She then has the task of donating it to a newborn/family that holds a special place in her heart. The quilts I make are not intended to withstand a hospital washer and dryer.

If anyone has made one of those isolettes that require ~9yrds of binding, how long does it take to make? Good luck.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:28 AM

Try this link
vippremmie.com/isolettepattern.html.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:23 AM

I make blankets for the NICU unit of our local hospital. All the quilts are donated and ours have to be 23-24 inches square. We can do any design we want and use warm and natural batting.They are always made with cheerful fabric and never with dark fabric only on the back. The parents get to pick which one they like from all the donations and then they get to take it when they take the baby home or if in some cases if the baby passes is a momento or a burial cloth for the baby.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:43 AM

At our hospital NICU unit I've seen the quilts that are given to the babies. They were cotton on one side and flannel on the other side. They were not dark. One of my friends received a striped quilt with boats fabric. There wasn't any batting. Very light.