Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: It's official......I'm allergic to fabric.............NOOOOOOOOO

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I wash all my fabrics as soon as they come into the house. I would think that if you are allergic to the chemicals that taking the time to get the fabric ready would only make you miserable. I don't really have any problems with the un-prepared fabric except that sometimes some of the warp threads get tangles slightly. I keep a pair of scissors in the laundry room for trimming before putting in dryer.

I use the Color Catchers when washing different colors. I have been burned by bleeding colors too many times, so I wash EVERYTHING. Batiks are known objects of excess dye, so be sure to wash them!. Besides, after they are washed, the hand changes to the most luscious, silky feel!!!

I dry or damp dry, depending on whether or not I have the time to iron right away. If the fabric is bought during the week & I don;t get to the ironong board until Saturday, dry. If I shop on Saturday, damp dry.

An old trick from my childhood - spritz your fabric with plain water, fold and place in plastic bag, When all is sprayed, close up bag and set aside for a while. If you live in a humid area, stick in frig to prevent mold. Iron when you are ready. Really makes ironing easy.

Alergy here too but not as bad as yours. I wash all my fab. Sew cut end to cut end. Usually have two to four yard tube that gets tossed into the washer. Toss in drier. Try to catch it before the timer goes off and hang it over the rod in the shower.

I'd buy a box of plastic gloves like the doc uses in the hospital/clinics. You can get them at Wal-mart. Wear them when you sew the strips togeter. Not very expensive and will protect you till the fab is washed.

so sorry to hear that....

if they are larger pieces, I baste the cut ends together and it does help...

Quote Originally Posted by Nanjun
    I clip the corners of new fabric and wash with a load of laundry.
    wow, great idea, will have to try that one next.

I also wash my fabrics as I am allergic to formaldyde - it makes my hands break out, fingers split, etc. I will wash a full load andI do use Shout color catcher sheets (sometimes 3 or 4 depending on colors). But I only dry them a couple pieces at a time - usually no more than 5-7 yds at a time - and only for 20 min. They are dry in that amt of time. Take them out of dryer immediately and fold. I press (dampning them if needed) as I use them and have had no trouble with them at all.

Wash it and before drying, unwinkle then half way thru drying, unwrinkle and before folding it up just tear off the stringy ends. Gives you a straight of grain and clean edges, also you won't have to handle the edges. Also if you fold it neatly and stack it as tight as mine is it irons it's self!

I also agitate by hand and then there aren't hardly any loose threads or tangles and I don't have to spend time sewing the edges prior. Use a large wood spoon or dowl to agitate so the formaldehyde doesn't get on your hands and arms.
    Good Luck!

I, too, have formaldehyde allegry. Was given some typed medication to put under my tongue before exposure. I do prewash all fabric and that seems to do the trick. However, when new fabric comes into stores, really gives me a fit. Eyes water, skin itches, sneeze, etc I stopped the meds. Don't think it helped all that much.

Formaldhyde is in everything in a new house. From carpets,
    kitchen cabinets, new upholstered furnature, vinyl flooring, kitchen counters (not natural stone),
    wood paneling, paints. Curtains and bedspreads that are polyester blend fabrics. New homes are so toxic I have read to never bring home a new born to a new house. Their immune system hasn't developed yet and can become sick from the toxic environment. Doctors are not educated in the field of environmental illnesses and will not realize the babies environment maybe making the baby sick.

So sorry to hear of your allergy....

I clip corners at the selvage, sometimes use pinking rotary blade. Both work fine.

The wrinkling starts in the washer when the fabric is all twisted. Try to straighten out the fabric before putting in the dryer, or the twisted portions stay that way in the dryer, thus setting the wrinkles.

Use vinegar and water spray when ironing to get rid of stubborn wrinkles. Or use Mary Ellen's Best Press...I always try it first.
    D in TX

So sorry to hear that, hope it gets better for you. I always pre-wash my fabric, just a habbit I developed when I was sewing clothing. I use "Magic Sizing" when I iron them. I read some where that the moths are attracted to the starch smell in fabric? But there not attracted to "Magic Sizing". Usually I fold the fabric out of the dryer, when I have time I press it first open (full width) let it rest then press the fold back into the center. No fabic will enter my stash unless it been pre-washed, I'm kinda picky about that. Some times I do mix clothing with them and I also use liquid downy to make them smell so fresh. I did have those dryer balls, that fluff the towles, they didnt last long about 6 months the spines fall off in the dryer....So went back to using bounce only. Hope this helps someone. later
    Barbara

Sorry to hear about this - I have several friends who have to wash fabrics when they get them home. Good luck

What a drag. I do prewash, and like Lady Diana I just clip the corners on the diagonal. I would never be devoted enough to stay stitch the edges. Good luck!

When I wash my fabric, I take it out of the washing machine, shake it intil it is fairly straight or lay it out on a table or the top of my freezer and smooth it flat, and then I hang it up on hangers to dry. Might take a little while, depending on your climate, but I live in AZ - it's dry in less than hour if I hang it outside in the summer. I use skirt hangers to dry fat quarters (3 to a hanger) or about a yard of fabric. I use the big plastic hangers to dry lengths of fabric larger than a yard - just fold it in half and slide it onto the hanger.

Drying it hanging tends to flatten out the fabric and it needs very little pressing. Can store it folded without ironing until needed without a lot of lumps.

Get damp out of dryer. When I wash a fab - cut diagonal snips from each edge - eliminates unraveling

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    Hi, I react to some fabric too. I wash them once on a normal cycle with warm water and detergent. Then I put them in the dryer and take them out when they are still damp to be ironed. Sorry. Hassle. I do not serge or do anything to the edges. I just trim the extra loose threads and often get help from one of my daughters with the trimming. You can also lay them on a cutting baord and lay a ruler on the edge and trim all the loose threads that way.
    When I was fabric this is the method use too, except I don't trim with a ruler.

I use Best Press Starch. It does not leave any residue on the fabric and no wrinkles. It is the best stuff I have ever tried.
    I get it at Hancocks, but you can probably get it other places too. It will even get out the fold seams. You cannot tell where it was folded after you press with this stuff.
    Janie

If you have a gentle or hand wash cycle on your washer use it instead of the regular cycle. It doesn't spin as fast and helps minimize wrinkles. Also take them out of the dryer when it stops unless you have a wrinkle stop cycle that tumbles the clothes every few minutes for an hour or so.

I pink the edges of my fabric rather than zigzag it, and that works fine. Also, I hang mine to dry and use spray starch when I iron it. It comes out nice. I have a bottle of StayFlo (?) starch. I mixed 1 part starch to 3 parts water, and that gives me a good amount of stiffness. Too bad about your allergies. I had that test years ago, and I was allergic to 27 out of 29 substances, especially grass and weeds. I had the shots for three years, and my allergies went away.

Blog Entries
    So sorry to hear of your fabric allergy. Must be very frustrating.

Have you thught about using rubber gloves or the form fitting latex gloves when going to fabric shops or washing fabrics? Might help.

Wow, you chose the wrong craft! The easiest way to prewash fabric is to clip the corners and put the pieces in a large sweater bag or lingerie bag, tie the top and wash. I have several sizes,(large for yardage, small for fat quarters). Take them out damp and press. I have done this several times and it works beautifully. :)

Blog Entries
    I sometimes sneeze when messing with my fabric but that OK I can live with that!

Someone mentioned hanging on hangers to dry. Duh, why didn't I think of that!!! LOL
    Then I thought about it, my clothes that I hang out, sheets too, come out nice and crisp and very few wrinkles! I am not hanging my fabric out on the line, but I did dig out my indoor clothes dryers, and there are several pieces, nicely folded in half (just like off the bolt) adorning the two racks! And, other pieces are on hangers, hanging on the shower rod! I have two bathrooms so the other rod should be full with the next load!
    This will be so much easier now! Thanks to whomever mentioned the hangers! From there, they should dry like my sheets and I won't fret about ironing that out at all! I can see light at the end of the tunnel on the washing now!
    If only I could have thought of this yesterday while I was washing three loads of the little pieces up to half yard!!!

Glad you figured out about your allergies, and although it's a pain, at least you know what to do to make you feel better! Good luck. I give myself shots every week, and it helps so much.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast